Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hjt And Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:41 AM

I have been using HJT for years with Win XP and have never had any problems with it. However, I just bought a new machine and got stuck with :thumbsup: Vista. So I have a couple of questions.

First, will HJT even run under Vista?

Second, are there specific things I should be on the lookout for, as in HJT flagging things as potential problems falsely?

Does anyone know enough about this :flowers: "operating system" to answer the second question?

Edited by MattV, 03 September 2008 - 04:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

HJT does run under Vista

HJT doesn't flag problems as such, it lists possible areas of the registry where malware could be found. It doesn't work like an antivirus which actively searches for malware using a database.

Because of the way HJT operates there are no false positives.

Hope that answers your questions. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 Trevuren

Trevuren

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:30 AM

Because of the way HJT operates there are no false positives.

I do not quite agree with the above statement. HijackThis has always and still produces false positives. The only (File missing) annotations that you can rely on to be accurate are those found accompanying BHOs. All the others are more or less hit-and- miss. When for any reason HJT can not find a file it will show it as missing. Very often the file is present but not in the locations where the tool has been coded to look for it. In other word, do not rush to the "Fix checked" button just because HJT is telling you that a file is missing.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2008 - 2009

Posted Image

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

Okay, I forgot about the "file missing" problem on HJT.

But is that a false positive? It's more a programme limitation. After all HJT doesn't actually tell you where the problems are, that's down to the user's interpretation and research.

However, Trevuren was right to point out what I missed.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users