Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway 3200s Replacement Mobo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MadJoe11

MadJoe11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:59 AM

Hi guys, new here and I have an issue. I do some comp work on the side and have an elderly man who's computer quit when the power went out. He has cable internet and tv, the tv was messed up also. Leads me to believe that the surge came through the cable, through modem and into mobo. This is the second time this has happened and I just ordered a new board and fixed it last time. Now this time, I have had my fill. I ordered a new board, got it installed, and nothing. PSU will not turn on, no spin up, nothing but a green LED on the mobo. Power is going to the switch, and the switch is fine. PSU will power up and run a fan, with the voltages of 11.5, 6.8, and 3.3. That looks fine. So I RMAed the board and got another (with the wrong socket), rma'ed that one, and just got the new one. Same issue, nothing but an LED. The proc is seated fine, the wires are as described on the Gateway website, the mobo is not the same as the OEM one, but the same as the first replacement board that worked (first lightning strike). I just dont get it... any help, I am 113 bucks in the hole right now. I dont want to be wrong and eat it. This is not my profession, just passion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:36 AM

Hi

Do you hear any bleep codes when you power up?
With the 12V rail slightly low and the 5V rail high I suggest you have another look at the PSU before you do anything else.
Have you tested the PSU voltages under load?
I purchased one for about 10 (thats $20 to you) and have found it invaluable.
Follow this link for the sort of thing I mean http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.as...UTEST&af=50
If you are sure the PSU is ok, try disconnecting/unplugging anything that is unecessary for the PC to boot - CD/DVD Drives, Secondary Hard Drives, Floppy Drive, PCI/PCIE cards (other than graphics card) and peripheral devices.
It's all about a process of elimination.
Steve

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

To rule out the CPU, put the whole thing back together minus the processor. If it starts up and remains running, it's the CPU
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users