Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Console Question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

I have a corrupted file in which I need to get into recovery console. I chose r for recovery console and entered 1 at which windows installation would you like to log into, I then pressed enter at password prompt. I am now at the the prompt of "C:\windows>"

What do I need to do now please?

thx

PS...the error msg I was getting is "following file is missing or corrupt....

windows\system32\config\system

What do I need to type in recovery colnsole to fix this please? OS is XP Pro.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

Recovery Console from a Windows Startup CD

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for that. Any idea how long that takes to run?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:23 PM

It depends, it took close to thirty minutes the one time that I ran it. Just make sure that you have the time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:25 PM

I assume if I went to bed with my computer on and running it I will be OK? Do you think this will fix my prob and get me back to my desktop?

thx

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:35 PM

Have you tried doing a System Restore?

#7 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:36 PM

no, windows suggested I do this first. Should I try that next if this don't work?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:41 PM

I would try it first.

#9 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

Someone said I need to do this...

expand <cd drive>:\i386\system\*.* <system drive>:\windows\system\

Replace <cd drive> with the drive letter for your cd drive and <system drive> with the drive letter of your system drive. Also if the i386 folder is in a different location, use that instead.

Any ideas?

Edited by bruinator, 02 September 2008 - 11:46 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:50 PM

If this problem has just started in the last couple of days I would run the System Restore, it may solve the problem and won't effect any other files outside of Windows.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process

#11 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

Ok, So far I am at this link and everything is working correctly but I am stuck at step 6 or 7 part 2. Can I please get some help with it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

I am at part 2 and step 6 of the first link but I do not understand what they mean by "Double-click the drive where you installed Windows XP to display a list of the folders." I assume they mean my "c:" drive. If so, I have done that but then in step 7 I can't find a folder called "System Volume Information folder". What should I do now?

thanks

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:52 AM

The folder is called System Volume Information.

There should be one for every partition which you have created.

Louis

#13 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:11 AM

Louis, I only have one dirve installed that is not my floppy or cd-rom drives and that is C: drive. I do not see any folder called System Volume Information. Why is that? Am I looking in the wrong place? I am showing all hidden files.

thx

PS---I also did a search with no results.

Edited by bruinator, 03 September 2008 - 11:14 AM.

#14 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:39 PM

I did everything on the link onpost 11 but I didn't have any restore points except for today. I can get to admin desktop without issues. When I go to c:/docs and settings/user/desktop I can see my desktop with all my short cuts. Is there a way I can set that to my primary desktop so when my computer boots up, it will boot up to that?

thanks

#15 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

Usually, my computer just boots up to my desktop without logging in. Under Control Panel > User Accounts. I only see admin and guest user accounts. I don't see my SCOTT user ID.

When I try start>run>control userpasswords2 command, I only see admin user ID, no guest or SCOTT. I assume this means my user account is neither active or turned on so would I have to just import that account to the Admin account that you can access? If so, will i be able to get my SCOTT desktop back upon bootup?

If this is the case should I just follow these instructions?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151 Please let me know.

thx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users