Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Not Starting Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kazhugu

kazhugu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

Hi,

I have Windows Vista Home Basic (SP1) installed in my home PC. Windows update does not work now - when I launch it, it simply freezes. The last successful update was on Aug 13th (KB950582, KB905866, KB951978, KB952709, KB955020). I downloaded the System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) manually, but could not install it. I got the window 'preparation completed', but nothing happened beyond that.

I checked my system to make sure there are no malware. I used Malwarebytes' Anti-malware 1.25 (ran as an administrator) and it did not find any infected items (please see attached log).

I ran Hijackthis (again as an administrator) and have generated the log (please find it attached). I would appreciate if anyone could guide me to solve the problem.

Thanks,
Kazhugu

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

ZoneAlarm does not work well with Vista and SP1. I've been there and done that :huh:

Here are some free Firewall programs, but I've heard that Comodo may be causing a few people some problems, too:
http://internetrotsyourbrain.com/rridgely/freesoftware.htm

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 kazhugu

kazhugu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

Thanks, but even if I shut down Zone Alarm, I don't have any luck - should I uninstall it?

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:42 PM

You will need to pick another Firewall if you aren't using Windows Firewall.

Go into Services by typing Services.msc in the start search box. Scroll down to ZoneAlarm and disable the service, then go to Programs and features and uninstall it.

Please be sure you have an active firewall before connecting to the Internet again!

See if this will help:

Step 1. Open Notepad

Step 2. Copy and paste the following command lines into the Notepad window (the /s switch runs the commands silently, freeing you from having to press Enter after each line):

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

Step 3. Save the file to your desktop, using a .bat or .cmd extension, such as update.bat

Step 4. Double-click the icon of the .bat or .cmd file.

Step 5. A command window will open, run the commands, and then close.

The next time you visit the Windows Update site, you should not have any problem installing the latest patches.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users