Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar icon question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phairestofthemall

Phairestofthemall

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:37 PM

Hey all, first post here, how ya doin.

I'm a non-pro PC fixer-upper and as such I've been putting MS antispyware on a lot of people's PC's. I use the same settings for em all yet I've noticed that on some PC's the taskbar icon is a red target and on others it's a blue target- anyone know the reason for this difference? TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:43 PM

Thats a good question, I've only seen the red target....
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Phairestofthemall

Phairestofthemall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

Yeah it's weird- in both cases when I mouseover the icon I get 'MS Antispy - Active'. Also the majority of the PC's show a red target icon, only a couple show blue ones and I have NFC why. All XP machines... would XPHome vs. XPPro make a diff maybe? (anyone running it on XPPro confirm/deny pls)

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:18 PM

That icon has to do with the automatic updating feature in XP. If its red it means there is an update you need to get. Not sure about the blue one but if your updates are all together you don't see it at all. Don't have XP in front of me but you might check the Help for the Security center(?). Sorry I can't be more specific.

If you figure it out can you post back?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

Found this:

With the Automatic Updates feature, Windows can keep your computer up to date automatically with the latest updates and enhancements. You no longer have to search for critical updates and information; Windows delivers them directly to your computer. Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to search for downloads from the Windows Update Web site. An icon appears in the notification area each time new updates are available.

You can specify how and when you want Windows to update your computer. For example, you can set up Windows to automatically download and install updates on a schedule that you specify. Or you can have Windows notify you whenever it finds updates available for your computer; it will then download the updates in the background. This permits you to continue working uninterrupted. After the download is complete, an icon appears in the notification area with a message that the updates are ready to be installed. When you click the icon or message, you can install the new updates in a few simple steps. If you do not install a specific update that has been downloaded, Windows deletes its files from your computer. If you change your mind later, you can download it again by restoring declined updates.

More info here.

Edited by Leurgy, 23 April 2005 - 08:54 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Phairestofthemall

Phairestofthemall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:45 PM

Thanks but this has nothing to do with the shield icons for XP updates/security/firewall- I'm talkin about the taskbar icon for MS Antispy program only. Most of the times it's a red target, but on a couple PC's it shows as a blue target for unknown reasons, that's all I'm wonderin about.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:28 AM

To quote the immortal words of Roseanna Danadana, never mind. :thumbsup:

#8 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:43 AM

The question of blue icons has been raised in Support Newsgroups.
The response is not that helpful.i am afraid.
All it says is that "It is a known bug"
Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users