Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Repartitioned A Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

Customer brought me his PC because he kept getting pop ups saying he was infected. Its a Compaq Presario SR1517CL running WinXP home. It booted up and immediately got pop ups from Win Antivirus 2008, Power Antivirus 2009, and Vista Antivirus 2008. I cleaned those off using MBAM and SAS, but had a very hard time getting those scanners installed. I found that Windows was only showing 20MB of free hard drive space. Thus, I found a problem that I have no idea how it happened.

Disk Management shows his 160 GB hard drive is partitioned as:
H: 6 GB primary partition
143 GB unallocated space

It almost looks like some virus, or some idiot, wiped out his C: drive and turned his recovery partition into the primary partition, listed as the H: drive.

What I'm trying to do is simply expand his 6 GB primary partition into the full 160 GB drive so there is only the one 160 GB primary partition. I'm good at lots of things when it comes to computers, but I have never partitioned (or in this case, expanded a partition) before because I've never had the need for a partitioned hard drive.
From what I can find on the web, I'm going to need a 3rd party partitioning program to handle this, but can anyone recommend a good free one? I've found free software for everything in the world, and have found a couple of free partitioning programs (Gparted and Cute Partition Mgr), but I think I'm going to need to run the program from a CD because there is no room left to free up on his drive.

Or, is there an easier way of fixing this that I'm just ignorant of? He has no recovery or Windows disks because his computer initially came with a recovery partition, which is now gone. This fact alone makes me very wary of trying to expand the partition with my knowledge level.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

Well...I think I'd try recovery software before writing the whole drive off :thumbsup:.

As for expanding a 6GB partition into a 149GB partition...seems like a waste of time. It would be far easier to simply temporarily move whatever is on the 6GB partition, delete everything on the drive, and start over with the creation of a new partition.

I guess I don't understand why you refer to the 6GB as a recovery partition...then state that the recovery partition is now gone. It either is or is not.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

Pretty sure what happened was someone threw the OS onto its own partition(the 6GB one) then was going to use the 149 left over for programs, storage etc. Now how you're going to get an OS onto the computer after repartitioning/reformatting legally, without any sort of disks is for you to know and not tell anyone :thumbsup:

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

Well...I think I'd try recovery software before writing the whole drive off :thumbsup:.

As for expanding a 6GB partition into a 149GB partition...seems like a waste of time. It would be far easier to simply temporarily move whatever is on the 6GB partition, delete everything on the drive, and start over with the creation of a new partition.

I guess I don't understand why you refer to the 6GB as a recovery partition...then state that the recovery partition is now gone. It either is or is not.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

I don't understand how moving what's on the 6 gig partition, deleting everything on the drive, and starting over is easier than expanding the 6 gig partition into the rest of the 160 gig drive. That sounds like a lot of work for what should be an easy partition expansion. I found a free, easy to use program called EASEUS Partition manager which allowed me to expand the 6 gig partition to the full 160 gig in about 2 minutes and a reboot.

I was referring to the 6 gb as what USED TO BE the recovery partition. Recovery partitions are usually around 5 to 7 gb in size. As it turns out, the idiot that my customer paid almost $100 to fix his computer a few weeks ago must have partitioned the drive this way. My customer didn't even know he had that much free unallocated space on his drive.

Anyway, PROBLEM SOLVED thanks to a free partition manager program called EASEUS. I quickly expanded a primary partition in Windows XP and lost no information in the process.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

Glad you're satisfied :thumbsup:.

I thought that you wanted to attempt to salvage data from the partition that had "vanished", but it's not the first time my thinking has been flawed :flowers:.

Happy computing :trumpet:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users