Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advize me on switching from Norton to AVG

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Miriam

Miriam

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:04 PM

I have removed & reinstalled Symantec 6 times. It came with my Dell XP (my first computer-6 months ago). It worked fine at first. Then it wouldn't update. Now it won't give me reports. It does give updates now.

I want to switch to AVG. Is there any precautions that I need to take before removing it from programs? Should my computer be in safe mode?

I also plan to switch from Earthlink (this also came with the computer) to LocalNet. Earthlink has given me a hassel-wouldn't let me change Home Page - much trouble with mailbox (At least I think the problem is with Earthlink). Won't connect sometimes. Maybe all dial-ups are like that.

Please give comments on Symantec & Earthlink. Thanks - Miriam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:07 PM

Miriam, i went through the same process not long ago. my computer came with norton, but it was a constant hassle - so after research AVG was highly recommended. this is the advice i received as how to switch without a lapse in protection.

download AVG and save it to a file, while norton is still running. after everything is all set, disconnect from the internet. uninstall norton, install AVG, and reconnect to the internet. that way you will never be online without protection. check for updates right away and do so on a regular basis.

i am very happy with AVG. Keith

#3 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:41 AM

Miriam, i went through the same process not long ago. my computer came with norton, but it was a constant hassle - so after research AVG was highly recommended. this is the advice i received as how to switch without a lapse in protection.

download AVG and save it to a file, while norton is still running. after everything is all set, disconnect from the internet. uninstall norton, install AVG, and reconnect to the internet. that way you will never be online without protection. check for updates right away and do so on a regular basis.

i am very happy with AVG. Keith

Thanks Keith. That is the answer I wanted. That has been my advise from techs on Myway board, I just wanted it verified here.

Please bear with my lack of knowledge.

By disconnect from the internet, do you mean just click on the tool bar at the top of my desk top, click Earthlink & then click disconnect? (It says connected at this present time). I don't need to put it in safe mode?

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:08 AM

Miriam,
Yes disconnecting from your provider that way is ok, if you want to be really sure pull the modem cord out of the back of your PC! You don't need to be in safe mode to install AVG but it might help when your uninstalling Nortons - not sure on that.

I know of a number of people running AVG without problems, and it gets very creditable reviews in the magazine testbench reports that I have read. That and the fact that it is recommended here is enough for me to give it the big :thumbsup:

You should also check the following:

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

Good luck :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 24 April 2005 - 09:12 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:22 AM

Thanks Rimmer I don't have Spyware Blaster, but I do have the other 2. I also have MicroSoft Spyware, but Microsoft Spyware won't update.

I went to down load AVG & got confused - just want to verify if this is what I need to down load.

Would you like to use AVG Anti-Virus for your business or organization?
Download a trial version of one of Grisoft's AVG Full Editions and use it free-of-charge for 30 days. All of the features of the AVG Full Editions are available for you to use during the trial period!

AVG Free Edition installation files
File Version
avg70free_308a468.exe 7.308

Documentation for AVG Free Edition
License Agreement for AVG Free
AVG Free Edition (Reference Guide)
Firewall Settings for AVG Free (Installation Guide)

Do I download all of the above & save it to the same directory file?

#6 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:39 AM

Rimmer I copied your response to Microsoft Word. I will take care of your suggestions later; after i have down loaded AVG safely.

I have a power center on my computer desk with on & off switches, those that are active are "printer", "monitor", "computer", & "master". If I turn off one of these swithches would that be the same as pulling the plug? If so which one, I am assuming the "Master" will unplug everything, which may be good, but also just "computer" may be all that is necessary. Please advise. Thanks Miriam

#7 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:05 AM

Hi: S
I went to down load AVG & got confused - just want to verify if this is what I need to down load.

Would you like to use AVG Anti-Virus for your business or organization?
Download a trial version of one of Grisoft's AVG Full Editions and use it free-of-charge for 30 days. All of the features of the AVG Full Editions are available for you to use during the trial period!

AVG Free Edition installation files
File Version
avg70free_308a468.exe 7.308

Documentation for AVG Free Edition
License Agreement for AVG Free
AVG Free Edition (Reference Guide)
Firewall Settings for AVG Free (Installation Guide)

Do I download all of the above & save it to the same directory file?
till waiting to see if aI need to down load all of the things beloe to get AVG.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:05 AM

You might also want to check out the Symantec site, for the proper way to uninstall Norton.
Sometimes it can be a pain to uninstall Norton.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the version of Norton that you use, and follow the directions.
Symantec
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:18 AM

Thanks TG: At this point though I need to know if I should down load everything that I have posted twice in the above posts. I was instructed to download AVG to a directory file before removing Samantec. I am still waiting to see if I need to download everything in the above posts. One of the posts has all the downloads in red.

#10 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

Miriam - i too am learning so i get all the info i can and take the safest route possible. so.... as far as what to download, i only downloaded the first link - the AVG70...... one. everything works excellent. just remember to update first thing when you get going.

as far as "disconnect from the internet" - i chose the safest, sure-fire way and physically disconnected the cable ( or phone line ) from the modem/computer. it may have not been necessary, but i just wanted to be sure no "bad guys" snuck in during the change over. hey, if i made it through this, anyone can! Keith

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:21 PM

Hi Miriam

Download avg70free_308a468.exe 7.308 from here. Thats all you need. Except for a firewall, which you will be removing along with Norton. Next download a firewall from tg1911's post in this thread. I like Kerio and Sygate and suggest you pick one of those. Either one works well.

If you just disconnect from the internet by closing your connection thats fine, no need to pull any plugs. Do not pull any plugs from your power center either.

So the procedure would be to download AVG, close your connection, uninstall Norton and install your Firewall (reboot) and then AVG. After installing AVG you will be asked to reboot. After you do an AVG "first time run" screen comes up. Since you have a firewall you can connect to the internet because as you go through the "first time run" you will be asked to update so you should be connected. You will be safe to do so. Just don't open any emails or do any surfing. When you attempt to update AVG your firewall may ask if you want AVG to access the internet so say yes. Have a blank, formatted floppy ready as you will be asked to create a Rescue Disk. If you don't have a floppy on hand you can skip this step as you can always do it later.

Hope that helps. Let us know how you make out or if you have any further questions.

EDIT: I don't bother with doing this in safe mode and have never had a problem.

Edited by Leurgy, 24 April 2005 - 02:29 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

Just a note. You can always download the documentation (reference and installation guides) at a later date if you decide you need them:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Documentation/lng/us/tpl/v5

Of more immediate use is the FAQ:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5/lng/us/tpl/v5

There is also a "semi-authorised" user forum :

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

Thanks Leurgy. I have a blank disk, but I don't know anything about formatting it. Could you help me out with that?

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:54 PM

Sure. Put the floppy in the drive, double click My Computer, right click the A drive and select format. Do a full format when the box comes up. After you make the rescue disk don't forget to label it and put a date on it. Its a good idea to make a new rescue disk about once a month, but I really don't think anybody remembers. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users