Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Don't Know If This Is Appropriate But ...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mlc00007

mlc00007

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

Are there any 'classifieds' here on bleeping computers? I am looking for quotes on building a website but its difficult to know who to trust just from looking through Google.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

There are no classifieds here. What specifically are you trying to have done?

#3 mlc00007

mlc00007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

I'm wanting to start an online business. I've obtained quotes to build the website from various firms which I found via Google, but the quotes range from $1,200 up to $4,000+. I'm new to website development and the wide range of prices confused me and made me rather suspicious. I'm only after a fairly basic static website with no bells and whistles - just typed information, a few photos, and a Paypal/credit card facility. I'm only offering one product for sale so no shopping basket facility is necessary.

Maybe I've heard too many horror stories about people getting ripped off on the internet that now I've been scared into paralysis.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:26 PM

$1000 to $4000 sounds like a reasonable range. It really depends on what sort of services and support are being provided. Are the quotes for services identical? What level of support is being offered?

Have you checked around a local university or trade school to see if they might have a student that needs a side job. Any third year comp-sci student should be able to handle it.

#5 mlc00007

mlc00007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:34 PM

Thanks very much Groovicus. Thats exactly the information and advice I was after. Perhaps I have been comparing apples with oranges when looking at the quotes I've been getting. I'll double check and look more closely at the fine print for exactly what they are offering ... and yes, I'll check out the local college and see if one of the students might want to earn a few extra bucks.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users