Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Me!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dramaqueen85

dramaqueen85

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:52 PM

Hi there!
I'm having a bit of an issue. I'm on my laptop which has a wireless internet connection from a router which runs into the main home PC. My laptop obviously has internet connection and visability as i'm on here, but the main computer cannot display pages. The connection says it is 100%; what happened to it??

Please help me - i'm awful at understanding computers...

:thumbsup:

Edited by boopme, 02 September 2008 - 02:35 PM.
Moved from Intros ~~boopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rXg

rXg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

would u be able to browse on internet since u hooked up to the the network on your laptop ?

#3 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

There a few posabilities, since you mentioned you were the first I would say is to check the router,firewall and the browser.

I would start by Clicking Start>Run> type NCPA.CPL. right click on the network connection> Properties. ensure that you have eigther the DHCP box selected, or have the static connection setup to how it is configured on your router. I suggest DHCP inless you have a specific purpose for a Static connection, inwhich case you would need to verify the static connection has access to the network eigther from your router or the server. Once you have verified that the network connection is how you need it...

Start>run>type CMD>at the command prompt type IPCONFIG /ALL. this will show you what you previously set up. and confirm that that system is recognizing what you entered for those values above. (if this does not match the previous step please repost here.)

next
do a ping test. this will see if you have an actual connection to the network. At the command promt again type PING (your router's IP address typically 192.168.1.1 or something like that. Pinging the router shows you have connectivity to it. Then try and ping WWW.CNN.COM t This will verify you can ping or at least are able to get through to the internet. if you are unable to ping then it maybe a firewall. More on the firewall later.

plug the machine directly into the modem to see if it is the router thats blocking you. If it works the issue is at least isolated and you can narrow down you possabilities.

Log into your router and see if your wired side of the network is bad, if you can't reach the router then you may wany to plug the cable into another port on the router incase the port is bad, it could also be a bad cable, or the network card on the machine went bad. or even just the wired side of the router has blown since you still have wireless. Ensure that the router is allowing connections by going through the obvious, and then not so obvious menues to see if anything is turned off, or being blocked. Many routers have firewalls today so it is worth looking into this as well.

To check the firewall... (for windows firewall) Start> control panel>Windows Firewall> Usually I would not recommend turning off the firewall "unless you have another firewall running" shut it off just to test and see if it is blocking you. If it fixes the issue go back into the firewall turn it back on and look and see if it maybe blocking ports. For web pages it would usually be ports 80, 81, 443.

Just a few things to get ya started . I am getting carpo so I will need to rest, please write back and let us know how it is going.

BleepingNetwork

#4 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:49 AM

Eeks my grammer is bad and spelling his terrible. I will spell check that next time SRY about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users