Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatible Motherboard For New Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VincentCecelia

VincentCecelia

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

I am gathering the parts to build my new desktop, and I would like to know what would be a compatible motherboard for the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor. I am most likely am going to run Vista and I want at least the ability to use a minimum of 8 GB of RAM (4 RAM slots of course). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

BTW This will be my first built computer.

EDIT: I plan on running 2 nVidia SLI video cards as well. I haven't decided on the model, I am still looking.
Price doesn't matter at this point concerning any part becuase I will buy the pieces separately and assemble the computer in March or so, so I plan on waiting for price drops and such which is standard fair for technology in this day and age.

Edited by VincentCecelia, 02 September 2008 - 12:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

There are many choices. I use the XFX MB-N780-ISH9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI on my PC and I like it. It meets are your requirements and has three PCIexpress x16 slots for graphics cards. The 750i boards are largely the same as the 780 but have two PCIexpress x16 slots instead of three. Here's a 750i board from eVGA. If you're going to use DDR3 memory you will need a 790i board.

3939.png

#3 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:07 PM

Hi

Check out the ASUS STRIKER EXTREME here

http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&...amp;modelmenu=1
Steve

#4 VincentCecelia

VincentCecelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:00 PM

Thank you both for the information. However, I looked at all 3 boards that was mentioned on newegg.com (my preferred site) and there are a fair number of problems associated with the boards for the $300+ they are asking for, especially the Striker Extreme. I don't plan on overclocking or anything like that, so I am just looking for a stable Quad Core motherboard and I don't want to go through the problems asssociated with returns and warranties and etc for something that should work as advertised. I do not need DDR3 Ram or 8GB ram minimum anymore. So any suggestions will be appreciated.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:03 PM

Most problems that are serious enough to warrant a return are often manufacturing defects, most are not discovered until the mobo is actually used. If you're wanting SLI, you'll need an NVidia board since they generally don't license their technology out often. If you're willing to use an ATI card with Crossfire (Such as the HD 4870 or the HD 4870X2) there are other options such as the Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Motherboard or the ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775. These are both highly rated boards.

3939.png

#6 VincentCecelia

VincentCecelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

Thank you for that information, I am going to go with an Nvidia capable board, most likely this one XFX MB-N780-ISH9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI unless a better one comes along before I buy this. As for video cards, I plan on getting this model MSI N260GTX-T2D896 OC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card [http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814127361] and upgrading to an SLI setup a little later. Is that too much, too little or overkill ? I am aiming for overkill, but not on my wallet. I want this desktop to be more adequate for 4 years with various upgrades throughout (i.e. ram, hard drive, etc). And should I get a 650W PSU or should I get somethign bigger for the details I already listed (cpu, mobo, vc, etc)?

#7 vi3tx13oy

vi3tx13oy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

i think you should go with the asus p5n-d mobo. its around 160$ USD and it could also support your cpu and sli.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

The power supply you want will depend on several factors, such as the GPU, CPU, mobo, number of drives, and other peripherals. If you plan on SLI-ing with that card and having several hard drives, a 1000 watt supply would give you more than you need in terms of power, but could also easily handle future upgrades. I suggest PSU's by Silverstone or Corsair.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users