Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Keeps Crashing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 allmtntech

allmtntech

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:32 AM

Okay, so every time I try to open My Computer, whether it's from the Start Menu, or the desktop, I get the error:
"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." The one where they want you to send an error report to Microsoft. There is also a "Debug" button, which I think restarts the explorer process. After that happens I can open My Computer a total of ONE time. If I close it and try to open it again I get the error again.
I also get this same error when I attempt to open Control Panel. The technical info for the error includes the error code: 0xc0000005. I read on Microsoft's website that sometimes having certain anti-virus programs can cause a race condition and cause explorer.exe to crash... Downloaded the support package for this issue, and got no results.

I want to uninstall the Google, ALOT, and AVG toolbars, but since I can't open Control Panel to get into Add/Remove Programs...that's a little difficult.

This PC had some virus issues (and maybe still does??) It now has AVG Free installed and up to date. I have no idea what to do on it now...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

My suggestion would be to first...post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

It's important...very important...to be assured that you have no malware issues...before soliciting suggestions which are not designed to deal with malware possibilities.

Once that possibility is either laid to rest or confirmed, we can move on.

Just my opinion...

Louis

#3 allmtntech

allmtntech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:34 PM

I think I found a loophole to the error and fixed the conflict. I was able to get Control Panel open and removed AVG completely. Restarted the PC and messed with it a bit, did not get any of the errors from before. Did a clean installation of AVG Free 8 *without* the toolbar, and no issues since. I will run AVG and SUPERAntiSpyware, and if it seems there are still issues, create a new post in the proper forum!

For now, this issue is resolved.

Thanks for the tip Louis, you're right, it was the wrong forum to begin with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users