Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Map Network Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:15 AM

So the powers that be decided we need a IP change, actually a switch replacement decided it for us.
I was able to get every machine up and going happily on the windows 2003 server with XPPro stations network.

Except one.

I am not able to map a network drive that is on our storage array. When I goto Tools>map network drive> it shows the array properly, but when I try to access it ends up just doing nothing.

I am able to ping the IP and I get a good response: however when I ping the machine name I am getting the old IP address and a message from the gateway stating the destination host is unreachable. All other stations are able to connect just fine, and thier pings show as they should. I am able to map other drives on other parts of the network with no problem. Just between this machine and the array it is not happy

I have updated the "hosts" file, did the whole flushdns and registerdns, the GPresult looks ok, checked DNS on the server and things "appear" to be fine as well. A "NSLOOKUP" tells me it "can't find server name for address X.X.X.X: timed out (it does pull the correct address though). Then of course it defaults to the secondary DC. With the nslookup issue it makes me think it is DNS, but I am not sure what I have not checked or overlooked since the rest of the machines appear to be happy.

Anyone have a clue as to what it could be or what I should try next? I assume it is still associating something with the old configuration somewhere but I am having a hard time figuring this thing out. I appreciate any and all assistance.

Bleepingnetwork

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:22 AM

What is acting as the DNS server? Do you have DNS statically assigned anywhere? You can try to reset the tcp/ip stack: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 (because you can't uninstall and reinstall it.) Also, check your routes on the problem PC with 'route print' http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490991.aspx. Could something have been statically configured there?
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

It does sound like an issue with DNS, or more likely the WINS server if this is over local IP's.

On the one machine can you browser to the resource through the IP? As in: \\10.x.x.x\sharename ?
Posted Image

#4 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:40 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :bike: :woot: :spam: :cool:
The WINS was the problem apparently. I noticed a few static entries in there with the old config redid them and poof things work... imagine that. Of course it leaves me with more questions such as why just this one machine? Another question would be the strabge entries I found in there but that is for another post if I can't find data on the net.

Thank you very much for the responses. The TCP stack thing I tried first since it was first on the list and made good sense as well as the routeing table. Unfortunatly now the antivirus is filling the error logs, but no biggie there, a reinstall on that should fix it. I really want to thank you guys, for some reason I should have expected Wins but it flew over my head... duh netbios & wins are practically conjoined twins. If I ever have the chance to add to a question you all have I will definatly try to help.

Thanks again!!!

BleepingNetwork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users