Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Circular Shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nowthenbc

nowthenbc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:18 AM

How do I recognise a circular shortcut? I have a user that has redirected his My Documents to somewhere on the server (so it will be backed up) some time ago. It has recently started displaying a double blue arrow, in a circular shape (arrowhead to tail and arrowhead to tail), at the bottom left corner of the icons of all the folders and files in the My Documents folder.
1. Am I correct in assuming that this is the symbol for a circular shortcut?
2. How do I correct the problem?
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:20 AM

Hi, I think what you a referring to is off line files http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/m...flinefiles.mspx

You can disable this by going to my computer and on the menu tab select foldes and untick off line files.

Edited by Monty007, 02 September 2008 - 09:21 AM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 nowthenbc

nowthenbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:07 PM

Thank you very much. From what I have read now, it certainly looks like you are right. Unfortunately I am going to have to wait until tomorrow before I can take a look at the PC in question.
Thank you

#4 nowthenbc

nowthenbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

I followed the instructions in that link and sure enough, the two little blue arrows disappeared. Then the user decided that they thought it was a good idea to keep their documents synchronised. So I put it back how it was. I guess that it will now ensure that a copy of the My Documents folder will be held somewhere on the PC so that the files can still be accessed when the network connection with the server is not available.
I am glad I understand it now.
Thank you for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users