Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office 2007 Icons Are Gone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crumpy

crumpy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:17 AM

The icons for my Microsoft Office 2007 have gone such as in this attachment

Attached File  icon.bmp   12.53KB   35 downloads

It should not look like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

Do the programs still work? If so, go to program files/microsoft office/office12 and make shortcuts to the programs you use. Sometimes when you reinstall office, the older installations shortcuts don't work. Also if you rename the shortcuts, the icons vanish too. Hope this helps.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 crumpy

crumpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

Yes the programs still work. I have not reinstalled office nor have I renamed any shortcuts. The example which I gave was a picture of a template (a dotx file). All I want is the icon to be shown again (for example for Word the W sign)

#4 crumpy

crumpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:22 PM

Just thought to add this:

When I go into My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - File Types - then to all the doc etc endings, i click on it and press advance and then change icon it tells me this:

Attached File  wordicon_missing.bmp   217.6KB   27 downloads

Any help would be appreciated

#5 crumpy

crumpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

EDIT: I thought I fixed it but i have not

Edited by crumpy, 02 September 2008 - 01:06 PM.

#6 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hello crumpy,

Maybe this will correct it:

In Word 2007, click the Office orb at the top-left corner of the window, then click the Word Options button at the bottom, then click Resources at the bottom of the column on the left, then click the Diagnose button to the right of "run Microsoft Office Diagnostics".

#7 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

Just right click on a word docx, select properties, select change icon, hit ok when you get a missing message.
This will start a browse window. Point it at the word exe file in program files/microsoft office/office12 , and select an icon. OK/apply.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 02 September 2008 - 02:54 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#8 crumpy

crumpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:11 AM

Just right click on a word docx, select properties, select change icon, hit ok when you get a missing message.
This will start a browse window. Point it at the word exe file in program files/microsoft office/office12 , and select an icon. OK/apply.

I think you have misunderstood what I have said. All my documents - .xls, .dotx etc have no icon - i don't want to manually change just one file, all the files with such endings have no icon and this is what i want to change.

In reply to the 7.46 post, the diagnosing thing said that there is nothing wrong with office

Edited by crumpy, 03 September 2008 - 05:14 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:18 AM

Try going to Control Panel...Folder Options...File Types tab
Scroll down to the documents that you want to associate and click on the Change button to change the program that's supposed to open it.
If that's OK, then you'll have to use the Advanced button to change the icons that are associate with that file type. You'll have to do it for each file type that's giving you a problem (ie - once for all .docx, once for all .xlsx, etc)

The only way that I know to change everything at once would be to uninstall and reinstall Office 2007
I've seen mention of a "repair" feature if you go to Add/Remove programs and start the uninstaller for Office - but can't verify it on my own system.

Edited by usasma, 04 September 2008 - 06:21 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users