Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:36 AM

Just found this on my daily overview of international newspapers: "Google's new browser takes aim at Explorer" - Google's post and link to the cartoon is here.
Could be interesting, although I probably wont switch from my beloved Firefox.

-edit- Screenshots and more here!

Edited by Yourhighness, 02 September 2008 - 03:02 AM.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:01 AM

I have always thought Google was a horrible excuse for a search engine. Because of that, I never have and probably never will try anything else they've come up with. Just reading about and looking at their awful excuse for a home page repulses me. Looks like they are following the same trend that M$, AOL, and others have developed - telling users what they want, instead of asking them. :thumbsup:

#3 eLenka

eLenka

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:36 AM

I don't know whether this project will affect Firefox, but it surely doesn't augur well for I-net Explorer.
Nevertheless, I won't give up FF for new Google experiment.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

When it is released, I am sure comparisons will be made with Microsoft's Internet Explorer and with Mozilla's Firefox. The added competition will be a good thing, as long as it doesn't force competitors to prematurely release enhancements to their own browsers. One can only hope that Chrome will not end up tied to Google-thought and can stand on its own as a browser.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 JDV

JDV

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

Has anyone actually tried it yet?
Land shark: the cleverest species of them all.

#6 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:25 PM

I tried to try it, but when I double clicked the setup file it said 'ChromeSetup.exe is not a valid Win32 process', so i gave up

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

I have always thought Google was a horrible excuse for a search engine. Because of that, I never have and probably never will try anything else they've come up with. Just reading about and looking at their awful excuse for a home page repulses me. Looks like they are following the same trend that M$, AOL, and others have developed - telling users what they want, instead of asking them. :thumbsup:

If you look at the design of the browser you'll see that they're making things quite out of step with MS and AOL in that their browser is designed from the ground up specifically to cut down on bloat and utilize system resources as efficiently as possible. Note how each tab spawns a separate process, so if any page or applet malfunctions or hangs it won't deter the other tabs, and the errant tab can simply be closed from its process without taking down the entire browser.

This behavior is especially contrasted to Microsoft now that Internet Explorer v.8 beta has come out, which consumes more system resources than an entire Windows XP installation.

I'll probably give Chrome a run later on, not gonna install it here on the work machine obviously.
I doubt I'll give up Firefox though, I've come to live on several FF extensions and I ain't giving them up. :flowers:
Although if Google does it right, Chrome will be a nice alternative to people who complain about Firefox's memory footprint. I've never seen FF's memory usage to be a problem myself, but some people freak when they see over 90megs in the process list.
Posted Image

#8 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

If you look at the design of the browser you'll see that they're making things quite out of step with MS and AOL in that their browser is designed from the ground up...

I believe you missed the point. Right now, when I open FF, my home page (Yahoo, since that's where my email is) comes up. I don't want some monstrosity that shows the last nine sites I've been to, or the ones I go to most often; I don't want a list of searches I've done (I doubt it will integrate with Copernic, anyways); in short, I don't want to be told what I want or need. When I open a browser, I want my home page to come up, nice and clean without a lot of irrelevant garbage taking up space on my screen. I don't need a list of the last dozen (or whatever) sites I've visited and I already know which ones I use the most - and how to get to them.

I mis-worded that post. The trend I meant was telling people what they need instead of asking them what they want.

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

If you look at the design of the browser you'll see that they're making things quite out of step with MS and AOL in that their browser is designed from the ground up...

I believe you missed the point. Right now, when I open FF, my home page (Yahoo, since that's where my email is) comes up. I don't want some monstrosity that shows the last nine sites I've been to, or the ones I go to most often; I don't want a list of searches I've done (I doubt it will integrate with Copernic, anyways); in short, I don't want to be told what I want or need. When I open a browser, I want my home page to come up, nice and clean without a lot of irrelevant garbage taking up space on my screen. I don't need a list of the last dozen (or whatever) sites I've visited and I already know which ones I use the most - and how to get to them.

I mis-worded that post. The trend I meant was telling people what they need instead of asking them what they want.

Why not give Google Chrome a good run,before making premature accessments. :flowers:
http://www.google.com/chrome

#10 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:54 AM

Why not give Google Chrome a good run,before making premature accessments. :thumbsup:
http://www.google.com/chrome

I have downloaded and installed it, and have played with it some. So far, not impressed.

#11 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:09 AM

i meant to comment on some of the stuff here, but being short in time and about to format my pc the second time in a week, I will just link to something I found on my daily newstrip with the "Google Chrome and Security." Some things to pick out of the blog entry:

...Chrome features sandboxing of each tab, built-in web reputation service, special privacy mode and so on...However, one security vulnerability has already been found, based on the WebKit engine used inside Chrome...There will be more issues, especially related to plugins (note that Chrome can use Firefox plugins).

Emphasis is that of myself, to underline what I think is important to note. However, since its a beta browser and open source its fully normal that exploits are found in early stages. Heck, FF and IE are anything but new and exploits are found here and there and everywhere once in a while.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:03 AM

I found this page very helpful.
http://tools.google.com/chrome/intl/en-US/features.html
It's fast,tranfered all favourites,passwords, and has instant Bookmarks,and many other things. I like about it.
Not one hiccup yet.
If it is this good in Beta,YH,then we can look forward to a nice alternate Browser,in the future.

#13 eLenka

eLenka

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:32 AM

Has anyone actually tried it yet?

I try. You know, it's nothing special. Just cute. Not to handy for me. There are some great features, but I still prefer normal menus, buttons, progress bar etc. I didn't like search plugins and URLs in one box. All in all, I don't think Chrome will be "IE or FF killer", as someone says

#14 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:16 AM

I am interested in finding out how much Google garbage it leaves behind whe you un-install it. And it doesn't integrate with non-web-based search engines, but none of the others do, either. That is something that I would like to see a browser do.

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:56 AM

I am interested in finding out how much Google garbage it leaves behind whe you un-install it. And it doesn't integrate with non-web-based search engines, but none of the others do, either. That is something that I would like to see a browser do.

Good point,MattV. I will check now. :thumbsup:

EDIT.Absolutely nothing. First software uninstall ever,for me,that hasn't left some remnants.

Posted Image

Edited by DSTM, 03 September 2008 - 10:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users