Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 In White Square In The Center Of The Desktop Background

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Dobie

Doug Dobie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

Bleeping Computer

Does anyone else have this same problem? Really frustating. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:29 PM

Is it the desktop background image or the monitor itself displaying the white square?

3939.png

#3 Doug Dobie

Doug Dobie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:04 PM

The desktop image is fine when I look at it with Paint. Just one of the pics that MS supplies. So I guess it is the monitor. I have a 19 in ViewSonic with 1440X900 resolution. Hope this helps.

#4 Doug Dobie

Doug Dobie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

It seems the white square appears when a window is placed on top of the desktop then it stays there when the window is closed.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

Usually this is an indicator that something is using your resources, but it could also be an issue with explorer.exe or with your video drivers (or even other things). What happens if you click once on the empty desktop and then press F5?

The first thing to do would be to see what's running on your system. Open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and click on the processes tab. Double click on both the CPU column and the Memory column to sort them in descending order. Let us know if anything is taking up an inordinate amount of CPU or memory.

Edited by usasma, 03 September 2008 - 02:57 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Doug Dobie

Doug Dobie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

The task manager has:
dwm.exe CPU 0 Memory 31K
explorer.exe CPU 0 Memory 25K
MemeoBackup.exe CPU 50 Memory 11K
(Backup says: Files pending backup)
sidebar.exe CPU 0 Memory 17K

#7 Doug Dobie

Doug Dobie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

Add clicking the empty square once then pressing F5 doesn't do anything.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

Right click on the MemeoBackup.exe and select "End Process". Click "End process" in the confirmation dialog. Then go back and test to see if the white thing goes away. If so, it's the MemeoBackup program that's causing the issue. A uninstallation and reinstallation of the Memeo Backup program should fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Doug Dobie

Doug Dobie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

Sorry. Clicking "End Process" for MemeoBackup did not solve the problem. What could it be?

#10 Doug Dobie

Doug Dobie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:11 AM

A buddy told me to take my monitor & hook it up to my son's laptop. See if the white square is still there. I will do that one day soon & tell you later. Thanks all.

#11 Doug Dobie

Doug Dobie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:40 PM

usasma

Thanks for your involvement. It was the WD memeo auto syno that was the problem. Uninstalled it & the white square disappeared.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

I'm glad that you got it fixed! Thanks for letting us know, it'll help others who have similar problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users