Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Wireless

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 padmoff

padmoff

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

i have had a netgear DG834PN for a few months now and it was working fine until a few weeks ago when for no reason the wireless light went out and the wireless stopped working. i tried loads of things, rung up netgear etc and went through all the steps but could still not solve the problem. eventually netgear sent me a new unit but for some reason the wireless still wont work despite it being brand new! Does anyone know what could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

I am sure you have already checked this but is
the wireless turned on on the router?
have there been any changes in anything that could cause interference or shorts with in the system? e.g. a power generator built next door?
I would ensure to update the firmware.

could be the unit went bad in the old one, then they sent you another bad unit.... it has been known to happen.

Just a couple thoughts, I know it probably wont help too much but I am hoping it helps somewhat.

#3 padmoff

padmoff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:58 PM

tried all the above stages but still wont work, anyone else with any suggestions?

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

Is it a 2.4 Gig device? Many telephones and babycams use the same frequency. Did you get anything new? I have seen them knock out a wireless router.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 padmoff

padmoff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

nope havent got anything new recently, ne other ideas?

#6 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:08 AM

Probably already tchecked this but did the "Wireless Zero configuration" service get turned off for some reason?

#7 padmoff

padmoff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:46 AM

how would i check that?sorry i am a bit of a beginner lol

#8 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

how would i check that?sorry i am a bit of a beginner lol

Go to start--> control panel-->administrative tools---> services.

In the list of services you can jump to service called "wireless zero configuration" and set it to automatic and click start.

But I dont think that would be issue that makes your light off wireless on router.

Anyways good luck.

Edited by sreez, 04 September 2008 - 11:54 AM.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#9 padmoff

padmoff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

still doesnt fix the problem, any other ideas?

#10 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

still doesnt fix the problem, any other ideas?

Are you able to run internet via wire connection. Did you contacted your ISP about this issue ask them to change the channels or frequency from their end. If that also dont work , then as far as I know you may need to go other new router.

Or else ask our friends here for more solutions.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#11 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:43 PM

Okay, if you got a new wireless router, the question is did you configure it to setup a new network name and network key? If you did that, did you create the same network name as your old wireless network, or did you use a different name?

If you are sure that you logged into the router using an ethernet cable and setup all the wireless settings in it, then is your computer able to see the wireless network with your name when you try to "View available wireless networks"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users