Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Won't Start Up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tryrrthg

tryrrthg

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

My laptop that is running XP randomly stopped starting up. It makes it to the Windows XP logo screen and then has the thinking bar at the bottom, in motion, but it stays like that indefinitly.

I've tried starting in safe mode, and restarting, didn't work.

I tried starting in safe mode with system restore to a point in time where I know it was working. didn't work.

I started in safe mode, ran spy bot, and virus scan. Nothing wrong in either scan. It wouldn't allow me to run Ad Aware.

I've had no signs of any virus, malware, adware, etc. Yesterday, I just tryed to flip open the laptop (which was on at the time) from being closed and got a black screen. I held down the power button to shut it off and try to restart it, but it's been like this ever since. I just can't get it to startup Windows.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tryrrthg

tryrrthg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

Hi Budapest, Thanks for your reply.

I did not receice a Windows XP CD with my refurbished Dell laptop... :thumbsup:

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

Did you receive any restore diskettes from DELL? If not you can order them from DELL at some price.

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

While in safe mode, you can try running msconfig from run box, and unchecking everything in your startup, then try regular mode. See what that does.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:28 PM

Actually, you can run chkdsk from Safe Mode.

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:48 AM

Dell's typically come with several restore disks. One of them is usually a different color from the rest (which are blue) - that is the Operating System disk and is used for these repairs.

Usually, with Windows, a problem of this sort (often called the Black Screen of Death) is either a file system issue or a video driver issue.

In the event that chkdsk /r doesn't fix the problem, there's 3 other steps to try (and 2 require the disk):
1) Run FIXMBR from the Recovery Console (needs the disk)
2) Run FIXBOOT from the Recovery Console (needs the disk)
3) Uninstall your video drivers and install the latest version from the manufacturer of your video card (not the one's from Dell)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 tryrrthg

tryrrthg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

Sorry for the slow reply. And thanks for all the responses.

I don't know what I did, but my laptop is working now. I hit F8 while it tried to start up, selected reboot and it started right up and has been working flawlessly ever since...

Thanks again!

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:10 AM

"Nothing succeeds like success!"
Glad you got it to work!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users