Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirxp08

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dave_unreal

dave_unreal

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:42 PM

Hi

I'm helping to fix a friends PC but have become a bit stuck. A piece of malware called antivirxp08 seems to be stuck. I've tried to remove it from add/remove programs and have tried to download various adware programs including adaware, superantispyware, atf cleaner and sbybot (all recommended at different points on other threads) The downloads took far longer than they should and the downloads were really unstable, ie windows closing and downloads hanging for no apparent reason. None of the software will open.

I've also tried to install hijack this. Same story as the other programs in that it downloads eventually but wont run. I even tried to move hijack this from my own PC by burning it to a CD but it appears there is some data waiting to be written to CD on the faulty machine.

I got atf cleaner to work in safe mode. - no difference though.

I've got a window on the faulty PC desktop saying it's a windows warning message that seems to be part of the malware.

I've also seen a blue screen with an error along the lines of unexpected kernal tap and another saying bad pool header with 'tcpsr.sys - ........ etc at the bottom.

Any ideas how I can get round this? Am I looking at wiping the hard drive?

Thanks for any advice offered

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

Hi Dave,

Have you tried downloading the software from another PC? You can install them via a thumb drive or CD. Also, each of the programs will allow you to update their virus definitions manually. See quietmans post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry839950

Let us know how it goes.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users