Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Cannot Access The Internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 NCdude

NCdude

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

I'm getting an message "The page cannot be displayed"

res://C:\Windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewp730

andrewp730

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:55 PM

try to ping google. Do this by opening command promp and typing "ping google.com"
You should then get their IP address which is 64.233.167.99
Put that in your browsers address bar and see if it works. If it does something is wrong with your dns settings.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

Try the following general fixes:

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot. Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 NCdude

NCdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

I received a message - local area connection media is disconnected cannot renew ipconfig.

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

Are you certain you are plugged in? I know it sounds stupid....

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#6 NCdude

NCdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

Yes, My wireless router is connecting my laptop to the internet. My desktop is hardwired to the linksys router, it will not connect.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,008 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hello NCdude,

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic166846.html

We do not allow more than one topic for the same computer and the same issue as this causes confusion, and in this case may make the disinfection process more difficult.

This leaves you with a choice:

1) Have this thread reopened and the HiJack This log topic deleted

OR

2) Keep this thread closed and wait for assistance in the HiJack This log forum. Please note that that forum is VERY busy.

Please send a Private Message indicating your choice.

Assuming you wish assistance in the HiJack This forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,008 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

Topic reopened at NCdude's request and HiJack This log deleted.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

did you right clik on the connection icon (bottom right) and hit repair?

Also, did this just happen out of the blue? and is there any new 2.4 gig equipment in the house/cameras phones etc?

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 01 September 2008 - 09:13 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#10 NCdude

NCdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

yes. IP renew could not finish repairing the problem. Timed out.

#11 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

did it work yesterday? did you try system restore back a few days to see if that does it? (it's reversable).

did this just happen out of the blue? and is there any new 2.4 gig equipment in the house/cameras phones etc?

Frank O' The Mountain

#12 NCdude

NCdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

I've been out of commission since Wednesday of last week. Nothing new in the house. I did have trouble with my linksys router but now its working with my laptop.

#13 NCdude

NCdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

I received an error message:

C:\docume~1\MYNAME\locals~1\Temp\WERb52d.dir00\Mini090108-05.dmp
C:\docume~1\MYNAME\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb52d.dir00\sysdata.xml

Does this help?

#14 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

I don't know what that means, sorry. Did you try system restore back to say monday of last week? Worth a shot.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 01 September 2008 - 10:03 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

Have you power cycled everything?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users