Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

speeding up my dialup

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 amanoma02

amanoma02

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:27 AM

me and my neighbour use dialup to get access to the internet, but for some reason his speed is higher than mine. my download speed only reaces for a max of 5.5-5.8 kbps, while his reaches 7.0-7.2. we use the same kind of prepaid internet, and we download the same anime movies. is there some sort of settings for speeding up dialup connections?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:32 AM

Gee, I'd be happy if I could get sustained speads of 5.5Kbps on my dial up connection! Still what could be different?

What kind of modem do you and your neighbour have?
Are you accessing the same sites at the same time of day? (in general)
What speed does your modem connect at? (double click on the connection icon and you should get a Status window which shows the speed - something like 48Kbps) How about your neighbour?
Do you have similar systems?
Is there anything unusual about your phone line? e.g. do you have extensions in every room of the house?, are you on a 'party line' or something similar?
Do you use the same ISP?(!)

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 amanoma02

amanoma02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:57 PM

when i double click my connection it says about 50,666 bps, well we use different operating systems, i use windows ME, he uses XP. and yes, we have the same ISP.

another thing, when i explore my control panel, there is this flow control ? on the modem settings and there's a hardware and software options. what does that mean? does that affect speeds?

#4 badkarma9999

badkarma9999

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:17 PM

yes they do n unless u know exactly what ur doing u could make things worse by messing with them.try to find a tcp optimizer program to do it.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:02 PM

on the modem settings and there's a hardware and software options. what does that mean? does that affect speeds?

Flow control is set according to the modem you have. Hardware Flow Control is used for a Hardware modem and Software for a Software one. Once again, as Rimmer asked, what kind of modem do you have?

The speed you are getting now won't increase appreciably though, no matter what you do.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 amanoma02

amanoma02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:42 AM

um well this is an external modem so.. is this supposed to be hardware? the weird thing is when i upload it reaches speeds of 7.0+ .

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:07 AM

Once again we have rapidly arrived at one of my "grey areas" where i'm not certain of my facts, but, subject to confirmation from someone who knows better, her are some thoughts:
  • For an external modem the connection speed you should see in the Status window is your port speed. Check your modem configuration and port configuration in Device Manager and check the "Maximum Port Speed" is set for 115,200 or similar.
  • Download speeds are governed by many things including how busy is the server from which the download originated. Unless you and your neighbour are downloading the same file, at the same time from the same site the comparison may not mean anything.
  • Elsewhere on this site there was a discussion about optimising settings for Firefox which would increase browsing speeds including for those on dial-up. Whether that helps with download speed I don't know but it might be worth a look.
  • Where are you getting your upload figure from?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:01 AM

I don't see how you are getting those speeds with a 56K modem. Try a speed test. Have your friend do the same test at the same time. Go to DSLReports.com and click on Tools then Speed Test and do one of those tests.

Different computers will get different speeds in any event. Newer computers are faster. The difference between yours and your neighbours is so small as to be negligeble when you consider that hi speed internet gives you up to 3MB download speeds. However, I realize the frustration with the dialup speeds and the urge to squeeze out everything you can from your connection.

Does your external modem have a name? I've never considered whether an external would be Hardware or Software but I'm betting their all hardware so try setting your flow control to that.

The difference between a Hardware and Software modem is that a Hardware modem has a DAC (Digital Analog Chip) on it to do the signal processing while a Software modem uses the CPU to perform that function. So if you have some other programs or applications open and are using a Software modem your speeds will be slower because the CPU is processing your signal (changing the analog signal from the phone company to a digital signal the computer can use and visa versa) while also working with the other programs. A Hardware modem changes the signal by itself leaving the CPU to do other tasks.

I agree with Rimmer about the port speed. If you want to read up on modems a good site is ModemSite.com. Some of their info is pretty old (2-3 years) but not a lot has happened with dialup modem technology lately as they've taken it about as far as they can.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:41 AM

Leurgy - if I might add what little I know about flow control, the hardware/software choice has nothing to do with a hardware or software emulated modems. It relates only to the flow control between a serial port and the external modem to which it is connected, to prevent buffer overflow at the Port.
Hardware flow control was achieved by toggling either DSR or DTR, a voltage level on a specific pin on the serial port (which was of course a 25 pin connector back then!)
Software flow control was achieved be sending a particular data pattern to the modem (It's all getting a little fuzzy now) Ack/Nack maybe? Anyway it was data rather than a signal level.
Those settings are present in windows to cope with external legacy modems and I don't believe they have any significance for internal modems at all (Hardware or Software types).

Gee, how prehistoric was that! :thumbsup:

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:48 AM

Rimmer you are probably right. I'm digging back into the brain archives here too. :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 24 April 2005 - 09:49 AM.

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:56 AM

AnalogX has a good program for monitoring your modem/download speed called Netstat. I used to have a way of setting up a modem in Linux to gain speed, but I'm having a little trouble locating the info, since I've been on cable for years. It involved changing a couple of modem settings but I don't know if it will apply to Windows. Also, a standard modem (such as made by Echo) is better because it doesn't steal processor cycles like a Winmodem does. I'm sorting through the modem info and ancient tips now. If I find anything, I'll report back with it.

Netstat Live

Edited to add:

I think I found the setting, though I can't see any way to apply it to Windows; it's Modem Command: AT&F, which replaces something else.

Edited by Herk, 24 April 2005 - 12:33 PM.

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

Herk - you can add modem initialisation strings in Windows under Modem>Properties>Advanced>Extra Settings.

AT&F loads the factory default profile - wouldn't have thought that increased the speed by much! :thumbsup:

#13 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:00 AM

From This Page: "Generic Hayes-compatible defaults.

This is usually a good thing to use in your init string, since the &F1-&F3 settings can vary among modems, and they may actually be the cause of connection problems. (Since you never know exactly what Brand X's &F2 really changes."

IIRC - the idea was to change from whatever was set up to the default command. It's been a while since I've had to remember things about the Hayes command set.

#14 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:27 AM

I don't think there is anything that will boost your dail up afarid.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#15 Tiz

Tiz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:52 PM

I used to use a program called Net lightning. You can tweek settings and things. Try googling for more information. I'm not sure if it even exists anymore, I was using it a hell of a long time ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users