Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C: Very Low On Space - Partitioning Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JudyLou

JudyLou

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

My C: drive is only 9 gigs because long ago, I was told not to make a drive larger than that.

Can I enlarge the C: partition without it being too risky? If I do, should I combine C, D and E? Or can I skip partitions and combine C, and F? I have Partition Magic software. Here is a summary of my drive space.
C: 8.59G / 459 MB available
D: 2.17G / 1.8G available (this was to be a CD burning drive)
E: 21.9G / 14.0G available
F: 22.9G / 12.8G available

How can I best organize the disk space that I have? Note: this Windows XP desktop is about 6 years old now, and still runs very reliably.

Thanks for the advice!

Oops----just ran Belarc and I have more descriptive info on the drives. I see that the 250G drive is split into 4, so edited out my question on why I was only seeing 60G of that.

According to BELARC:
c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 9.43 GB 477 MB free
d: (FAT32 on drive 0) 2.34 GB 1.94 GB free
e: (FAT32 on drive 0) 23.59 GB 15.09 GB free
f: (FAT32 on drive 0) 24.62 GB 13.75 GB free

j: (NTFS on drive 1) 62.91 GB 47.75 GB free (these last 4 are on an external backup drive)
k: (NTFS on drive 1) 62.91 GB 62.25 GB free
l: (NTFS on drive 1) 62.91 GB 62.84 GB free
m: (NTFS on drive 1) 61.31 GB 61.24 GB free

Thanks for your thoughts on my best strategy here.

Ciao!

Edited by JudyLou, 01 September 2008 - 01:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

Since you have Partition Magic (hopefully, version 8.0 or later)...combining/modifying partitions should be easy.

First...read the instructions for using PM. If you had previously read those...you probably would not be asking these questions, IMO.

Second...I would change the file structure from FAT32 to NTFS...on all partitions. Really doesn't matter when you do this, but it probably needs to be done.

I would combine partitions C:, D:, and E: into one boot partition. To do so, I would first move everything from E:, then delete it. I would then move everything from D: and then delete that partition.

That would leave C: followed by about 26GBs of unallocated space.

I would then use XP to convert the C: partition to NTFS.

I would then use Partition Magic to add the unallocated space to C:.

Aside from changing to NTFS, I'd leave all other partitions as they are. They're only storage cabinets and they are in manageable sizes right now (for chkdsk and defrag), nothing would be gained (and something would be lost) by consolidating them.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users