Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Takes Forever To Start!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

I use Firefox 3.0.1 on Windows XP. For some time now, when I start Firefox it takes a really long time to load and start running - often over 1 minute. Sometimes it only opens in a little bitty version on the upper portion of the screen. It sounds like it's corrupted somehow. Can I delete and reinstall without losing Bookmarks? Could there be another solution? I sue AVG Free and it detects no virus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

There could be all sorts of reasons Ff doesn't open quickly, and you could try uninstalling and reinstalling it (from a fresh download). Your preferences and bookmarks are stored in a separate file that is not touched by the add/delete function in the Control Panel.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Thanks. What process should i follow to determine and repair the issue?

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:16 AM

It could be an add-on that is dragging it down. Try disabling them and then turning them back on individually to see if you can pinpoint it.

Tools>Add Ons
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 rtrm01

rtrm01

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

:thumbsup: Mine does this too, uninstalled, and now since i have uninstalled it, i can't reinstall because i can't get a connection with ie7. (i was having this issue before too) I am at advanced computer user, uninstalled all questionable programs that i have recently installed, system is newly reloaded (4 months ago) all working fine, but then just crapped out.

my start bar has resorted to classic style, and things on my task bar (right side) are wierd. when i launch GOM to watch a movie it says no sound, i can't see my netcard in my Network Connections, and when i start digging around in the control panel, more specifically i was checking some services at a root level (i did say advanced user right? trust me, i have broken these things and messed them up beyond repair so many times i can't count, but then again you don't learn if you don't break em a few times right?) and i pretty much just wanted to see if it would close me out of it, and it did. just shut the window like that, i also tried grpedit and it wouldn't let me touch this or admin svcs as far as seeing which services are running. it won't let me start msi services either

when i start a program, any program i get a brief flash of a small window about installing something msi and it sort of flickers. never visible, but something is definately using resources, and primarily related to communications.

i can play games, open office docs, run adobe, burn movies etc, but internet related activities are not working

i have throuroughly uninstalled all antivirus and firewalls, and it is not connected online right now, but what steps should i take?

or how to best trouble shoot maybe?

sorry about the novel

#6 erexx

erexx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

Old thread but I had the same problem.

To fix I this I created a new user with admin rights and password.
Logged out of the old and then logged in under the new profile account.
I then removed and reinstalled Firefox under the new profile.

After logging back into my old profile Firefox worked as normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users