Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dramatic Fluctuations In Performance

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 llama311

llama311

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

i recently built a new computer and i have noticed extremely inconsistent performance, such as playing team fortress 2 at 200 fps one day then either several hours later or the next day trying to play it and getting 10 frames per second. one day when it was particularly slow, i ran 3dmark to try to find out where the problem was, and sm 3.0 scored very low, i think it was around 500 where it normally over 6500.

i am confident my processor and videocard are not having heat issues because i monitor their heat, the processor with real temp and the videocard with ATI's CCC. i'm pretty sure sm 3.0 is videocard related so im pretty sure its not some spyware or windows program thats taking up computing power. the only things i can think it possibly might be would be the motherboard overheating or the psu struggling. but i think a struggling psu is a long shot because i havent had any random reboots. anyone have any ideas what could be causing the problem? or how to test if one of the possible problems i listed could be tested without an extra psu or mobo? i've also taken my computer apart and then back together once, the issue happened before and afterwards, so i doubt its a loose connection.

my computer specs.

i have gigabyte ep35 ds3l, a hd 4870, a 37200 (overclocked to 3.0Ghz), 4 gigs of ddr2 800 ram, 32 bit xp, antec earthwatts 500W psu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users