Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Setup, Can't Use Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 koba

koba

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

I have a Macbook, which I run Windows XP on. For some reason, my leopard doesn't work. I recently tried to start up XP, and I got the error: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows/system32/config/system. I have an XP cd, and the recovery console iso from the sticky topic in this forum, but I already have a CD in my drive, which cannot be ejected withought entering an OS (thanks again, apple). I do have an external CD drive in my USB ports, but when I press F8, I can't boot from it, and of course, Macs have no bios.

What should I do?

EDIT: Bad title, I meant startup.

Edited by koba, 01 September 2008 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

You could try re-installing leopard, which should allow you to eject the cd. I'm afraid I don't know how that'll affect Boot Camp though, so it might mess up your XP install.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:05 PM

Hold the mouse button on start up. Itll eject the cd. Then boot off the OS X install disk and use disk utility on the Leopard partition to verify and repair the disk. Hopefully that will fix the problem with OS X. Otherwise, youll probably have to reinstall.
Posted Image

#4 koba

koba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

Thank you! I'll try all that now...

#5 koba

koba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

Awright, update. CHKDSK says i have one or more errors on my disk. Does this mean my harddrive is busted, or is there something I can do?

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

If you are running Disk Utility from the Install Disc, hit Repair Disk until no more errors are showing.

#7 koba

koba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:29 AM

:thumbsup: Somehow, it didn't just stay on overnight, it booted into Windows by itself... I'm not complaining, though. Thanks for all the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users