Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My Ram, New To This Please Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robahr24

Robahr24

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:29 AM

I have a HP Pavilion dv6700t notebook. Right now it has 3gb (2 gig and 1gig sticks). It runs slow with vista, but im getting xp pro soon and want to upgrade the memory. I checked the and the max memoryx.net says i can go is 4gb. It also says that im running pc2-5300 ddr2-667-200pin ram. Does this mean i have to use ram that comes with 5300-667mhz speed or can i go up to like 800. Never upgraded anything, only have to take out my ram when it went bad when i got my laptop. Also can anybody give me any tips on to make my computer run faster program wise, what are some little tricks that i can do. And last i need a new anti virus because my ran out. I was using kaspersky, not sure how this compares to others. Heard nod 32 was suppose to good.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

If you are using the 32-bit version of Vista the maximum amount of RAM that it will see is 4GB, but because of the systems and application that draw on it you will usually only see a maximum amount of 3.5GB of RAM. In order to see the whole 4GB you will need a 64-bit operating system.

Switching back to XP will make the computer run faster than Vista, Vista has an incredible amount of bloatware.

A lot of us here us AVG for a anti virus, it is active and updates every day. You should also have a firewall, I have been using Ashampoo and like it very much. Both of these are freeware.

If you decide to go with a 64-bit OS and still wish to add more RAM, go to Crucial and use their scan to determine what RAM will be compatible with your computer. If you are running dual channel with your RAM then you will want to add modules that have the exact same specifications as the ones that you are already using for the best performance.

Edited by dc3, 01 September 2008 - 10:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Robahr24

Robahr24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

Well, I just downloaded kaspersky 30 day trial, and comoda trial, and superanti-spyware, well see how that works. I liked kaspersky, it was easy to use and my computer didn't run any slower. But definitely going to xp pro since it will run a lot faster. Is xp pro a 64 bit os or not. And when you mean dual channel, do you mean 2 slots for it? Because it only has 2 slots and the max i looked up was 4 gigs.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

XP and Vista both offer 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.

Running dual channel require having matched pairs of RAM modules. The purpose for running dual channel is because in increases the throughput from the RAM to the memory controller effectively making the RAM twice as fast. You can read all about it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

XP 64-bit has more issues with compatibility than Vista 64. Also, data in memory in a 64-bit environment takes up more space than it would in 32-bit. If you have a good modern PC, Vista will do fine. Don't expect a huge difference in speed between XP and Vista unless you run very demanding programs. Keep in mind that Vista will always be slower than XP for the first few days as it indexes the hard disk. I looked up your dv6700t's CPU, although it is dual core, it is slow. I use Kaspersky Internet Security, I like it. The only thing I don't like is the training mode on the firewall, it constantly pops up.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users