Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sharing internet connection between w98 and XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikesims

mikesims

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:19 AM

Sorry if this has been addressed a zillion times before (I did a search), but I have a working connection between a W98 and an XP pc , but cannot get the ADSL internet broadband connection to be shared......

I do not wish to use a hub because of the expense, and I understand it should work with the crossover cable ....

Any ideas????

(I have assigned static IP addresses)

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:39 AM

Hi mikesims,

from my limited understanding the answer to that lies partly in how your broadband modem(If that's what you have?) connects to your PC.

So what devices do you have to connect to the internet and how are they connected to your PC? Plus what are the details of your network setup between the two PC's, i.e. what type of network cards are you using, what protocols are set up, anything else you can think of?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 stevendaniels

stevendaniels

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:07 PM

If you go to www.download.com and type in proxy+ in the search box and down load this little program.

Log onto the internet on your main computer and setup IE on the second computer. Install the software..

On the second computer go to internet options throught the control panel and click the connections tab. Click the LAN setup button and type the IP address of the main computer(the one with the software installed) and enter the prot number 4480.

The documentation with the software states you should us port 4400, but this is wrong!! The port is deffinatly 4480.

Click apply and ok.

Restart both systems and and log back on to the internet on the main computer and click the IE icon and you sould connect.

Good luck... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users