Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 slash_sandman

slash_sandman

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:01 AM

Hey guys, I got the blue screen of death today saying Unmountable Boot Volume.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6000.
Windows XP Pro

I found out that if you use the XP Setup cd you can run a recovery. I tried 3 cds but they failed to boot.
So, I also disabled the boot from hard disk. Tried it again, then got an error message saying :"No bootable devices, strike F1 to retry reboot."

Can I fix this or do I need to reformat?

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

Recovery Console from a Windows Startup CD

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Edited by dc3, 01 September 2008 - 09:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:16 PM

If the Recovery Console fails to run, then it could be that your hard drive is dead. Another alternative is damage to the motherboard that prevents accessing the hard drive.

Attempt to run a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of the hard drive. If the drive still isn't recognized, then you'll have to slave it to another computer to see if it's recognized there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

Alright thanks guys, I think I'm going to try and recover the data somehow and then go for another hard-disk. It gave me problems earlier as well, 6 months ago it crashed and didnt boot (unlike this problem) and 2 weeks ago it reverted to PIO mode.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:29 PM

FWIW: Crashes, inability to boot...reversion to PIO mode and unmountable boot volume errors...these are all known issues which have specific approaches for treating.

Buying a new hard drive won't prevent a single one of these things.

Louis

#6 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:21 PM

Dell Inspiron 6000 laptops are pretty stable machines for me. I work with several.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#7 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:08 AM

Well i tried the recovery but it doesnt run. Is there anything else I can do?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

I'd like some detail about...<<but it doesn't run.>>

Do you have an XP CD? Are you saying that you cannot get into the Recovery Console? Are you saying that you typed a command which did not execute?

Louis

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

You can run a bootable hard disk diagnostic program that will tell you whether the hard drive has gone south or not.
This is a good universal one: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users