Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wallpaper Autochanges Into Warning Message

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LeapingPanda

LeapingPanda

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:19 AM

Hi! I use windows xp and I encountered this problem around 2pm august 31st. First, an "anti virus" program downloaded onto my desktop when i was trying to download something else. I knew it was fake, but as soon as i tried to go to delete it my computer froze. I restarted in safemode to remove it, however the uninstall option in the fake anti virus' folder and the uninstall option in the add/remove programs did not work, so i went into program files and deleted it myself. however, when i restarted the wall paper changed and left this message:
Warning! Spyware detected on your computer!
Warning! Win32/Adware.Virtumonde detected on your computer
Warning! Win32/PrivacyRemover.M64 detected on your computer
it is like the problem i found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/164439/windows-warning-message/

Whenever i change the wallpaper, if i restart it then the wallpaper just comes back. All restore points were deleted, and my desktop options are gone. Sometimes while im using the laptop, the mouse starts acting funny, then there is a sound followed by the laptop freezing. Other times, the laptop will run without freezing. Also, althought it sounds dumb, im positive that the virus is doing its best to keep me from fixing this problem by blocking out forums such as this one. When i searched the problem using my laptop, i saw many links with solutions, however if i clicked on any of them then it loaded to a random site. So then i used my friend's laptop to search solutions and i found many programs to download, such as the one in topic164439 i just posted. So i typed the link for the program into my computer, but it says unable to connect, to all three of them. i've tried typing the links to other programs i saw in other threads but i got the same result. I dont know how its keeping me from visiting certain pages. So far i was unable to visit Online Virus Scanner, HijackThis.exe, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SS&D, Ad-Ware 2008, ComboFix and the other progammes that were recommend. I am currently using my friends laptop to type this because i cannot visit this site on my laptop.

I need my laptop for school and I hope someone can help me. I sincerely appreciate any effort anyone can put into this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

You are infected
I will move you to the appropriate forum
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 LeapingPanda

LeapingPanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

oh sorry for putting it in the wrong forum. and thank you for moving it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users