Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll32.exe - Application Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 catreid87

catreid87

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:27 PM

Hi,

I am using Windows XP and not much of an expert when it comes to computers. I'm afraid that will do more harm than good when trying to fix up my computer so I thought I would see if anyone on here can gve me a helping hand. I have encountered the following in the last week or so. The only changes I have made are dowloading Internet Explorer 7 which doesn't seem t look right.

- When I start up and log in I get an userinit.exe - applicaion error twice
- Start bar and icons on the desktop won't show after I have clicked 'ok' on the error windows
- I use ctrl + alt + delete and start a new task c: which usually brings up the desktop
- After desktop comes up I get rundll32.exe appliation errors x 4
- When using the internet I seem to get a lot of pop up windows for downloading virus scan software and other various things
- I am unable to bring up a menu within internet explorer when I right click and I can't download anything
- Sometimes the start bar and icons will disappear and there seems to be no obvious reason for it

Hope that all makes sense. I am not sure of all the right language to use. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:50 PM

Hi,

What kind of Antivirus and Anti-Spyware do you use? Do you use any firewall other than Windows Firewall? Which service pack you are running Windows SP1/2/3? Where from you downloaded IE7. There are website which distribute altered IE7. Download it from http://www.filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer/3282/

Your computer seems to be infected with malware.

If you have no antivirus or antispyware installed then you can try this

1. Boot in safe mode. Press F8 several times during computer startup, select safe mode with networking.

2. Download SuperAntispyware from http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/. Install and update it.

3. Run the scan and clean if it detects any malware.

4. Download avast! antivirus from www.filehippo.com and repeat same process.

Have a nice day.

#3 catreid87

catreid87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

Hi,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 and only Windows Firewall. I hope you don't find me terribly fustrating, but I have tried a few times to start in safe mode and I have been unsuccessful. I am quite computer illiterate. Sorry. Also, it seems that I am unable to dowload anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users