Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ide And Sata Speed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rebellion534

rebellion534

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

my motherboard only supports IDE, and i am planning to buy a SATA because i heard that it's much faster than IDE. I would like to know, im gonna use a cable "IDE to SATA" to connect it to my motherboard, is it gonna affect the speed? would i get the speed of SATA or an IDE?

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:31 PM

You will need a SATA to PCI controller card, like this one. There may be some trade off of speed using the controller card, but it should still be faster than the PATA drive.

Edited by dc3, 31 August 2008 - 10:32 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rebellion534

rebellion534
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:43 PM

thank you for the reply. the website is really cool, lots of stuff, and i did checked other hardwares and i found this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812206002

if that one is gonna work, which one do u think is gonna work best compared to the PCI one u refered? and which one is faster? i have USB 2.0

thank you for the reply sir, that website is really cool. :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:03 AM

That is a IDE to SATA board, you want the reverse, like the one that I posted the link to. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

You will also need PSU support for SATA...or use those little PSU attachments that allow for connecting EIDE/PATA connectors to SATA drives.

Louis

#6 rebellion534

rebellion534
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

oh yeah, i forgot that my mobo is IDE, thanks for the help guys.. im gonna check out connecters for PSU also :thumbsup: thanks a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users