Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk Starts Stops Again N Again

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

Hi,

I have two hard disks. I have installed Windows XP SP3. After starting up my first hard disk makes spinning noises as when it powers on and off. So it is being turned on and off again and again. When this happens Windows stops responding. This started when I was browsing on internet using IE. IE hanged up and hard disk went crazy. I have to press 'reset' button. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:29 PM

Run a series of malware scans, as a first step.

Louis

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:53 PM

I have following :

1. avast! 4.8
2. a squared antispyware
3. clamwin portable
4. outpost firewall

So I guess there is little change of malware. Plus the system stops responding as soon as everything is loaded like antivirus and firewall, the hard disk starts spinning on an off. So how can I run any scans?

I have opened the box and checked the power cable conections, everything seems to be okay. The second hard disk works ok. I booted from knopix live linux cd. It works fine but, from linux when I try run mp3 files etc the problematic hard disk, it also hangs.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:43 PM

Try running the scans in Safe Mode, this has a limited amount of applications running which should help. Do any unusual applications show up in the Task Manager when this is occurring?

You may also want to find out what the make of the hdd is and go to the web site of the manufacturer and download their diagnostic tool to see if you have a problem with the hdd itself.

Edited by dc3, 31 August 2008 - 10:44 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

Thank you dc3 :thumbsup:

Following your idea, I started the computer in safe mode and tried to run checkdisk from hard drive properties. It didnt run but scheduled a check at system startup. Next I rebooted and checkdisk found hundreds of errors in the primary hard disk drive. It rebooted and found more errors in secondary hard disk too. After reboot, the problem is gone and computer is working fine :flowers:

I downloaded Seagate Disk Manager CD ISO image burned it and booted from it. It does not find any errors on any drives.

But I would like to know what caused such errors in first place? It suddenly started when I was downloaded files off net using IE. So I can avoid such situations.

Thanks alot for your help hamluis and dc3 :trumpet:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:49 PM

Glad you thought to run the chkdsk, and that it has solved the problem. I don't know what would cause that many errors, if you do find out please let us know. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

Depends on what chkdsk found.

The fact that chkdsk finds errors is not surprising at all to me...since I run it in order to find such and allow it to correct same. If chkdsk hasn't been run in some time...the number of errors found is likely to move from the "inconsequential" to the "need to run chkdsk more often" area.

If they are file errors or security descriptor errors, etc...I don't worry about those.

If they are bad sectors...I just keep an eye on it. If I had a significant amount of bad sector space reported, I think I'd start prepping for a different hard drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users