Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Sygate And Our Bleeping Site ...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:47 PM

Not too sure where to put this post so hope it's okay that I've placed it in this section.

I'm new at using Sygate FireWall but I wonder if someone could clarify something for me, please.

In the below (at the top) it shows a nasty rating of '10', yet I was here - at our Bleeping site. Surely this is a mistaken report?

Thanks so much,
Mara

Posted Image
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:20 PM

Any details on which ICMP it was?
Most likely Sygate blocked a reply to some ICMP ping from here.
Is the address 208.43.87.2 or .3?

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:57 PM

Hi tos226,

Since I'm not even sure what a "ICMP" is, thought I'd just take another snapshot of the same entry (just moved the slider further along this time) ...

ADMIN EDIT: Image removed for member security and member notified.

I'm quite sure my computer is perfectly safe here at our Bleeping but am curious why Sygate blocks anything from here.

Thanks again,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:20 AM

I can't give you the technical jargon for it, but if you will notice Sygate is blocking some kind of "incoming" traffic. That's good!!! You are communicating out...so that you can surf the web etc, safely, while Sygate is blocking traffic coming in that could possibly be harmful, but more than likely is just being nosy. Nothing harmful is coming from bleepingcomputer itself.

I'm here. I'm using Sygate. And I'm seeing a lot of UDP blocks and a few ICMP blocks.

You can use Sygate to back trace to tell you where it's coming from. I've done that, but frankly most of the time I'm not sure what all that means either. lol!

Rest easy. Sygate is doing its job.

#5 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

Yes, I've decided to "rest easy" - gentle smile. Really do like Sygate and 'registering' seems a small price to pay for such a great free program.

And I'd like to publicly thank Galadriel for spotting I'd posted my "IP" and asking Animal to remove it for safety. Thank you, thank you!!!!!

Because surely there must be others like me who aren't aware of dangers of certain posts, I wonder if somewhere on the 'Welcome' page perhaps, a wee 'alert' could be added - perhaps listing a few things to never, ever post?

And now, off I go to try ever so hard to figure out how to delete something from 'Tiny Pics' (yup, my "IP" is now sitting there for all to see - eep!).

#6 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:44 PM

No problem. Glad to be of assistance to a fellow Bleeper. :thumbsup: 'Specially one with such a pretty avatar! :flowers:
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users