Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Cards And Power Supplies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ebrid001

ebrid001

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:23 PM

Hello,

I have a 250 watt power supply and most of the Nvidia and ATI budget graphic cards I'm looking at recommend at least a three hundred watt supply.

1. Are those hard and fast guidelines or can I probably get away with the fifty watt shortage?

2.If doing #1 is tempting fate,please recommend a budget graphic card that will work.

2a. Or would it be better to upgrade the power supply?

--------------

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

Are you going with a PCI-E card? What are your current computer specs? An Upgraded power supply would be more cost efficient in the long run. There not to expensive.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 ebrid001

ebrid001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

Sneakycyber:

Yes,I have a pci express 16 slot on an MSI motherboard. XP,up to date,with a gig of ram.

-----------------------------

Everybody:

I was just on the New Egg site and read their tutorial on sound cards and linked from that to the proper list of cards.

There,I found some MSI cards that have heat sinks rather than fans on the card. But no power supply recommendations were listed. I'm tempted to get one of those. Thoughts? Cautions?

-----------

Thanks.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

What are your intentions of doing with this setup, gaming? What kind or is it just an all around upgrade?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 ebrid001

ebrid001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:30 PM

Garmanma:

I added an" MSI TV Anywhere " card,fed from my television cable. Yes,I updated the Direct X and downloaded the latest drivers to my own disk.

The sound is good;the picture is OK,but on things like sports "rerun" segments,it needs more memory than the one gig of memory is sharing. It is sharing 128. I'm figuring a 256 or a 512 would clean up some,if not all of the fuzz during the first half second and last half second of the reruns.

I don't smoke and I open the case and air can out the dust every few months or so,if it needs it or not. So,if I can save a few dollars with the MSI,which uses a heat sink instead of a fan,if a 250 power supply will feed it,that would make sense for me.

Nope,I don't game.

------------------

Thanks.

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

well, since your not a gamer the heatsink version might work okay. assuming you aren't building your own 3d models or anything :thumbsup: The thing is without active cooling, things could get heated. Not saying don't get one, just be aware of the issue beforehand. What card are you looking at exactly? how many cd/dvd/harddrives are you running?

And yes, getting a video card would smooth things out. not only will it use its own vram to render but will let your OS/programs use the full gig of regular RAM you have in there.

Personally, I would get a small but ample PSU 400ish and like a 73-7600 nVidia card. probly get both for about 75 bucks or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users