Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 comp stuck

comp stuck

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:21 AM

I have a new HP 8300 dual core computer running Windows XP. Yesterday after I finished installing AVG antivirus my Hard Drive disappeared. I cannot access windows explorer.
When I connected the harddrive to my other computer all the data is intact and the computer runns normal with the exception of not being able to directly acces the hard drive.

I am hoping to avoid reformatting the drive and reinstalling my software. I did get a MS antivirus warning before installing AVG and AVG found 47 threats when it finished its scan.

i also tried to reinstall windows XP and did successsfully complete a repair install of XP but no change.

Thank you for any help you may have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:06 PM

How can a computer run "normally" when the user cannot access the hard drive?

The hard drive has the operating system, all files, all programs...and the boot.ini file.

In any case...can you get into the BIOS? Is the hard drive accurately reflected there?

Did you run a chkdsk /r on the drive when it was connected to a different system?

More importantly...have you done scans for malware?

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

I did get a MS antivirus warning before installing AVG

What did that warning say?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 comp stuck

comp stuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

The MS Antivirus warning was that I had an infection which is why I installed AVG.

I did not run chkdsk /r but I will try that.

As to how the machine can run at all is a mystery, but I am responding to this forum using the computer while I cannot access the hard drive.

I did scan for malware and AVG cleaned what there was out.

I think this is some kind of virus or malware but cannot seem to get it fixed.

I will soon have to reformat and start again. I will make sure to install AVG first this time.

Is AVG a reliable antivirus, I have used Panda before but it was getting finicky to install on the new computer because I can't prove I have removed the license from the old computer.

Thank you for any other help you can offer.

#5 comp stuck

comp stuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

I also just noticed that in the bottom right of the screen beside the time I have a note "VIRUS ALERT!"

Has any one else seen this before or is this malware?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:58 AM

The MS Antivirus warning

Microsoft does not have it's own virus protection program. I believe you are infected and will move you to the proper forum
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 ewrlopa

ewrlopa

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:42 AM

Microsoft does indedd have one, OneCare.

#8 Tedturner

Tedturner

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:15 PM

I also just noticed that in the bottom right of the screen beside the time I have a note "VIRUS ALERT!"

Has any one else seen this before or is this malware?

Yes, you have Antivirus 2008 malware on your machine. I just got rid of the same thing on mine. Go to www.malwarebytes.org, download their anti-malware program, install and run it. When the program shows you all the infected items on your machine, allow it to disinfect them. Not only did it completely eliminate my problem, but I found that it must have found some other, older, issues because my entire machine now boots up and runs quicker than it did before, with far fewer seemingly random connections to the Internet (I have Zonealarm which can show you each time your machine either sends or receives bytes to the Net).

Also, the malware hid 2 of my hard disks when using My Computer to view them, even though disk partition and other software still showed them there and all the programs that resided on those "missing" drives still ran fine. The anti-malware software showed a couple of registry entries that were infected by Antivirus 2008 which caused that to happen and it fixed them as part of its disinfectant process.

Good luck. It worked for me.

Edited by Tedturner, 01 September 2008 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users