Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Is Slow And Out Of Space On C:

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alliwarner

alliwarner

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:38 AM

My computer has a c: and an e: drive (external back up). My c: drive is only 40 gig and my e: is over 100 gig. Currently the c: is full. I have moved a lot of files to the e: drive, but don't know enough to know what else can be moved there to free up space on c:
I am sure that is why my computer is slow. There are no viruses or mal/ad ware. I already cleaned both drives. I don't have enough free space on c: to defrag.

I guess I really need an expert to tell me what can be deleted and/or moved to the e: drive to free up space. I really don't want to get another, bigger drive. Don't want the hassle of re installing everything and possibly losing info.
Thanks for your help.

ps- I have hijackthis tool on computer already so can send log file if needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:21 AM

Please do not post a HiJackThis logfile here - we move them elsewhere if they're posted here.

What is on your C: drive? Have you moved the contents of the My Documents folder to the external drive?

A hard drive generally needs 15% free space to function normally - in this case it means that you'd need 6 gB free (34 gB used).

What else is on your hard drive?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

What exactly did you do to "clean" the hard drive? What kinds of files did you remove?

If you can, back up your videos and songs to DVD/CD-ROM's and audio CD's and delete the ones on hard drive. Those take up tons of space.
If you tend to store images a lot, you can save space by using PNG and JPG files instead of BMP (but be aware of the possibility of quality loss due to lossy data compression).

Obviously you should uninstall any programs that you don't use and don't need.
After you get more stuff deleted, try running JKdefrag instead of the Windows defragger. If JKdefrag doesn't work, then try WinContig.
Read my post at the bottom of the page here too about disabling virtual RAM temporarily: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/163734/alternate-disk-defragmenter/

Edited by BlackBurst, 31 August 2008 - 11:30 AM.

#4 alliwarner

alliwarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

What is on your C: drive? Have you moved the contents of the My Documents folder to the external drive?

I have moved almost all the contents of the My Docs folder to the external drive. I have also tried to move almost all programs to the external drive, but again, I don't really know enough to be confident about moving things around too much. I know not to touch any obvious Windows stuff or apps. (I guess- lol)
So, I can store the programs and .exe on the external drive? Do I move things by right clicking on the icon on the desktop and then using the send to e: thingy?

Thanks
Allison

#5 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

Unfortunately, most programs can't be moved once they are installed.
The exception is if the program is "portable". Portable applications (programs) often write their settings to an .INI file stored in the same folder as the program. They also often designed to be able to be run off of a USB flash drive. But not all programs that use .INI files are portable. The main issue is that most programs store their important data on the system drive in very specific places and expect to find the data there when they run.

One thing that did occur to me is that if you backup your complete system to an external drive using something like Acronis True Image Home, then you could disable Restore Points. The advantage of this is that then the restore points get deleted and you gain back some space... maybe lots.

I can't remember if I mentioned reducing the size of your virtual RAM too. That might help if virtual RAM is set too high. Usually people recommend that virtual RAM be set to 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM. But of course, if you already have tons of RAM, you might even get away with turning virtual RAM off if you don't run multiple programs a lot at the same time. I have a computer with Vista on it that has 3 GB of RAM and I turned off virtual RAM and it's never been a problem.

Good Luck.

#6 wakasaki

wakasaki

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

Hello,

Sounds like you need to buy a larger hard drive. Here is what I would personally do.

1. Figure out what kind of connections your internal hard drive has. Should be IDE(PATA) or SATA. IDE(PATA) looks like a ribbon cable. SATA looks like a rectangle shaped cable.

2. Buy a hard drive with the same connections but with a bigger storage capacity. Also buy Acronis True Image Home(About $40).

3. Connect the newer/bigger hard drive to your system.(Hopefully your motherboard has an extra connection).

4. Now after both Hard Drives are connected, simply boot your computer from cd. Use Acronis True Image Home.

5. Now it's pretty simple. There's an option in there to "clone" your old hard drive to your new hard drive. I would look online for some tutorials if you are not sure how to do this. Just go to www.google.com and type in "Acronis True Image Home Clone Hard drive".

6. After the cloning is finished, disconnect your old hard drive and place the new hard drive exactly where your old hard drive was connected. Then start your computer normally.

I hope everything works. I have used Acronis True Image Home numerous times and it's amazing.

#7 alliwarner

alliwarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

I'll try that. Thanks for your help.

#8 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

Do a search on the C drive for eveything to see the biggest files you have

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users