Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32/rbot Trojan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iviv

iviv

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:52 AM

I found this trojan on my PC after my internet cut out. Hit it with a combo of adaware, spybot, superantispyware and nod32 which appeared to delete it, but the internet problem remained. Vista still showed that I had an internet connection, I was able to ping websites from the command prompt, but that was all. Firefox wasn't displaying anything at all, IE was displaying errors. Plus, when I closed anything that was accessing the internet (MSN, Xfire etc) when they closed, they crashed instead of closing properly. And closing firefox gave a 'Data execution prevention' warning.

So in the end I used system restore to get everything working, but a couple of days later the internet problem happened again. Rince and repeat. I'm guessing that the virus is hiding in the system restore, but after restoring I did a full scan with all the above programs and they found nothing.

Also, I think that from time to time the computer is flooding the network with junk packets, booting off everyone else who's on the network here. I'm assuming the two are related.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt. Follow the instructions here for performing a scan in "safe mode".
-- Post the log in your next reply and let me know how your computer is running.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you have another security program like Spybot S&D, it may alert you that changes have been made. If you get such an alert, permit the program to allow the changes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:19 PM

Hello iviv,

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic166515.html

We do not allow more than one topic for the same computer and the same issue as this causes confusion, and in this case may make the disinfection process more difficult.

This leaves you with a choice:

1) Have this thread reopened and the HiJack This log topic deleted

OR

2) Keep this thread closed and wait for assistance in the HiJack This log forum. Please note that that forum is VERY busy.

Please send a Private Message indicating your choice.

Assuming you wish assistance in the HiJack This forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 31 August 2008 - 06:20 PM.
Insert topic link. ~ OB

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

This topic reopened and HJT topic deleted at iviv's request.

iviv, please follow the instructions quietman7 left for you in post #2 of this thread.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 iviv

iviv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:57 PM

Hi, and sorry about that, wasn't really thinking about it. Anyway, I've done the first scan with Dr. Web, which gave me this:

mirc.chm\ctcp_events.htm;D:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.chm;IRC.Generic.32;;
mirc.chm;D:\Program Files\mIRC;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
mirc.exe;D:\Program Files\mIRC;Program.mIRC.621;;
mirc.chm\ctcp_events.htm;E:\Documents and Settings\iviv\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\mirc.chm;IRC.Generic.32;;
mirc.chm;E:\Documents and Settings\iviv\DoctorWeb\Quarantine;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
sumotori.exe;E:\Downloads\sumotori102;Win32.HLLM.Limar.2341;Deleted.;
RAYU5YBA.NQF;E:\Program Files\ESET\infected;Trojan.DownLoader.62991;Deleted.;
mirc.exe;E:\Program Files\mIRC;Program.mIRC.623;;
RegUBP2b-iviv.reg;E:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots2;Trojan.StartPage.1505;Deleted.;

Going to run malwarebytes overnight, as that one took three hours to run over my 3 drives.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:46 AM

The MBAM scan should go faster. Make sure you do a Quick Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users