Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard To Explain Computer Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gusgus910

gusgus910

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:07 AM

This problem I am having is very difficult to describe. When I boot up my computer and it gets to the Microsoft Logo, the background screen is filled with squares in horizontal lines across the screen. Each boot up is different. Sometimes the squares fill the whole screen and sometimes they fill only parts of the screen around the Logo itself. As I continue to let it boot, when it gets to the Desktop, the right half of the screen (only) has multiple horizontal lines of dashes that seem to move as if there is information being processed. If I have a Window open maximized with information on it, whether it is graphics or lettering, it is distorted beyond recognition on the right half of the screen only. The left side of the screen is unaffected! The cursor Arrow has what looks like a 1 horizontal Barcode across the shaft of the arrow and it stays there even if I move it to the left side of the screen.
Heres another example: I printed out a draft copy of this message in Microsoft Word in a window that used only the left side of the screen. The printing was normal. I then moved the window to the right side of the screen. The printing was unreadable. I then moved it back to the left side of the screen and it still was unreadable. I then maximized the window and minimized it back and the printing was readable again!
What I would like know is this: Can someone give me information on the procedures to take to find out what is causing this problem. I would like to test my Hard Drive, Video Card, Monitor, and Malware, but Im not a computer expert, so Ill need plenty of help.
I have a Dell Dimension 8300 Pentium 4, 2.8 MHz, 1.5 GB Memory. Windows XP Home Edition, SP3.
Please let me know if any other info is needed. Thank You.

gusgus910

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

From your description, it looks like either your monitor or your video card is beginning to fail. If possible, try your monitor when hooked up to another computer; if it works there, then be prepared to replace your video card.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:47 AM

The first problem you described is indicative of a monitor or video card issue. I would first test with a different monitor. If the results are the same, I would try a different video card.

The printing problem is very odd! It _could_ be correlated to the display issues, or it could be just an unlucky coincidence.

Dell's (new ones anyway) will allow you to perform a complete diagnostic at boot time. When the PC boots up, immediately hit F12. http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/deke/laptop...s/d600/diag.htm

Some searching also brought me to this page: http://www.fonerbooks.com/video.htm Its a t/s flowchart for video issues. Not sure if it would help, but it may be worth a try.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#4 aido

aido

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:48 AM

Have you examined whether your RAM are ok?
Have you the current graphics drivers installed on them?

greetings,
aido

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:52 AM

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Update Drivers In XP ~ Windows Fanatics - http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2005/12...-drivers-in-xp/

Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

Louis

#6 gusgus910

gusgus910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I guess I have some work to do. It might take some time, but I'll try to let you know what the problem was.........if I find it!
gusgus910

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users