Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Beeps On Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 balance17

balance17

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:08 AM

I went on vacation for a week and when I got back and turned on my computer it started beeping. After a few failed tries on restarting it I opened the case and blew out the dust. Now I don't know if it was a proper job or anything, but the computer started up. It then crashed. Here is exactly what happens when I turned it on. 5-6 second beeps the continue and don't stop, the monitor/keyboard/mouse do not turn on. Weirdly though I have gotten it to work, but when I did it usually crashed and the monitor/keyboard/mouse didn't respond.

Here are the specs that I think would help I will post more if needed

650i ultra, 8800 gt, duo core 2.33gz processor

When I opened my case I found it was a diode on the motherboard making the beeping and I heard about the BIOS codes. Not really understanding it I tried replacing my ram/gfx card nothing happened. If anyone could help it would be greatfull.

Edited by balance17, 31 August 2008 - 08:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:17 AM

Can you post exactly how many beeps there are? The ammount of beeps can determine which part of the pc is going wrong...
I recommend just giving all the movable part (RAM, GPU, etc.) and they're wires a push, just to make sure they're in place

Edited by iisjman07, 31 August 2008 - 08:18 AM.

#3 balance17

balance17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

the beeps are 6 seconds long, its a beep...pause...beep and does not stop

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:52 AM

What is the exact make and model of your system (or the motherboard if it's a custom build)? That'll let us look up the BIOS manufacturer and find out what the beep means.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 balance17

balance17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:55 AM

Nvidia EVGA 650i ultra

#6 balance17

balance17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

I now think it is safe to say it's a motherboard problem becuase I Just pretty much took it out and put it back in. Now when I start up my PC it says Floppy Drive error now this is odd because well... I don't have a floppy drive. It would be much appreciated if you guys could identify the BIOS its an EVGA 650i ultra. Well atleast now it turns on but often my mouse/keyboard turn off and the whole pc then restarts and it does the beep pattern again.

Edited by balance17, 31 August 2008 - 10:16 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

The floppy drive error is occurring because you don't have a floppy drive. You can disable this setting in the BIOS.
The long beep is usually indicative of a memory failure - although next most common is a video problem, followed by other possibilities with the motherboard.

I'd suggest this bootable memory test: http://www.memtest86.com/
Let the test run for a minimum of 3 passes - but overnight is better. If it starts giving errors you can stop the test immediately.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 balance17

balance17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

I believe I need a new motherboard

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

It'd be a shame to buy a new motherboard if it's only the memory - run the test (it's free) and then you can decide.

#10 balance17

balance17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:52 PM

Problem is I can't turn on my PC thats why that doesn't work, but thanks. I took out the mother board alltogether and made sure it was dust free I reinstalled it and no beeps ya. I can hear it loading up normaly BUT. Once again no beeps not even the beep to start up the PC and get it going. Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users