Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer hates me!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 krm41

krm41

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:58 PM

I have used this forum before and had good results. I am very computer savvy but am at my wits end trying to figure out what is bogging down my computer. Half of the HKLM...Run's aren't even on my computer now. I would appreciate any help again. I have ran various spyware, antivirus software and nothing. In the meanwhile, my cpu usage is being sucked up and you would think I had dial up when I have broadband!!!!

Thanks, Kim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:38 AM

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post here and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware

#3 krm41

krm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:55 PM

I can't believe I forgot to post my log!!!! I am so sorry!!!!!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 8:52:07 PM, on 4/24/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\hijack this\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2005\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\GIANT Company Software\GIANT AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasDtServ] gcasDtServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ashMaiSv] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashmaisv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Systweak Ad and Popup Blocker] "C:\Program Files\Advanced System Optimizer\adblock.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix:

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:35 AM

I see that you are running msconfig in /auto mode which means that you may have selectively removed some items in the past from the startup procedure. This can be bad if they are malware, so we would like you to reenable those startup entries by doing the following:

Please click on start, then run, and type msconfig and then press enter. When the window opens click on the startup tab and make sure there are checkmarks in every entry. Then press ok until you are out of the program. If it asks to reboot, do not reboot.

Now please create a new Hijackthis Log and post it as a reply.

#5 krm41

krm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:31 AM

Every entry is checked already under start up. In the past, I have done that, but checked them prior to posting this log.

Thanks, Kim

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:47 AM

Fix this :

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

Other than that there is nothing wrong. You are running a bunch of real time protections at the same time which may be killing your performance. For example you have teatimer and giant antispyware realtime protection running at the same time, and they both do the same thing. I would disable teatimer in msconfig and see if that helps

#7 krm41

krm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:50 AM

I have uninstalled both of those software programs. How do I get them off of my start up?

#8 krm41

krm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:56 AM

One last thing, should msconfig be running in auto?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users