Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Operating System Found On Disc!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pyloric

pyloric

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:50 AM

Alright, one day all of a sudden my computer had a black screen and said No Operating System found on disc. So I restarted with an XP disc in the drive and tried to just do a fresh install. When I got to the screen where it says select drive to partition, delete partition, and install windows, it says at the bottom something about not enough disc space, and says that there is 0 mb available to install. Then after I hit any button, I get the STOP: 0x0000008E error. I attached a picture of the blue screen error.

I'm thinking that if I get a new HD, all should be well, but I wanted to ask someone else just to make sure, I don't really wanna waste money if it won't fix the problem.

Thanks for any help,
Dustin

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

The STOP 0x8e error that you posted usually has to do with hardware compatibility issues.

There's several commong reasons for this (and a bunch that are less common).

I'd suggest that you first run this free, bootable memory tester to check your memory: http://www.memtest86.com/
Burn the ISO to a CD/DVD using an ISO burner, boot from the CD/DVD and let the test run for at least 3 passes (overnight is better). If it starts giving errors you can stop the test and start troubleshooting the bad memory.

I'd also suggest a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive (usually free). This will tell you if the drive is OK.

Finally, some questions...What type of hard drive do you have? Is it SATA or IDE? If it's SATA, did you load the SATA drivers with a floppy (or slipstream them into your CD) when you were prompted (at the bottom of the screen) to press F6 to install SCSI or RAID drivers?

Edited by usasma, 31 August 2008 - 08:01 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 pyloric

pyloric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:04 AM

I have a IDE hard drive. I'll let the mem test run for a while and see if that comes up with anything.

Thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:53 AM

I'd also run a bootable hard drive diagnostic. At work I find more problems with bad hard drives than I do with bad memory(RAM).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 pyloric

pyloric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

I ran the Memtest86, and it passed 8 times with 0 errors. I'm currently running a HDD diagnostic test, and 2 million sectors in, it shows a lot of defects. It says it has about 5 hours left of scanning. I'll let this one finish and post my results. I'll be pretty happy if it is just a defective hard drive. :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:54 PM

Since it's already finding errors on the hard drive - it's a good bet that that's the problem. Make sure you get the same type hard drive (SATA or IDE) and the same size (3.5" for a desktop; 2.5" for a laptop).

Do you have your Windows restore/reinstallation disks? If not, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer of your system for a replacement set. Some give them out for free, some cost less than $20, and Toshiba AFAIK charged $40 or $45 for a set (but it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than a new copy of XP).

#7 pyloric

pyloric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, I have my reinstallation disks. It's almost done now, its found 1.5 million errors in the 200 million sectors its scanned. Thanks for all of your help!
One more question . . . How does this kind of thing happen? Does it just happen over time? I have had this machine longer than any other.

Thanks again,
Dustin

Edited by pyloric, 31 August 2008 - 07:54 PM.

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:34 AM

Yeah, I have my reinstallation disks. It's almost done now, its found 1.5 million errors in the 200 million sectors its scanned. Thanks for all of your help!
One more question . . . How does this kind of thing happen? Does it just happen over time? I have had this machine longer than any other.

Thanks again,
Dustin

I believe the Life of a Computer or Parts thereof are linked similar to a Dogs Life? Dog 15 years old is really 105 years in real terms? 15 by 7. I think Computers are by 5? That would be 75 years? Scarey, isn't it.

My little Dog is 8 years old, I am 61, next year she will be older than me in real terms.

8 years on a Computer could be 40? A heck of a lot different to a Car, for example? Think back to the Operating Systems from 8 years ago on a Computer and the HDD and RAM from then? Operating Systems then were 98SE, ME and 2000 just starting. HDDs 40G max? RAM 512m Max?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 01 September 2008 - 02:51 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

Computer parts die when they feel like it. I've had hard drives die within a month or two of purchase - and others have never died (being retired/scrapped when upgrading).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users