Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Reference To This Problem- Green Hue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 paulcupboard

paulcupboard

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:02 AM

Ok, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
This just started this morning. The system has been working fine for about 7 months.
I am running vista home premium 32bit
The problem presents as follows.
Start up as normal but when the windows logo appears on start up its colored a solid block of green, the sursor then appears green. The desk top then appears normal for about 10 - 15 seconds before it turns almost completely green. You can still make out the desktop wall paper and text in parts but its all in a green hue. Most of the screen is completely green so I am unable to navagate it. When I shut the computer down by pressing the power button or by finding the shut down or restart button the screen changes back to normal for a second as the shut down starts.

I have restarted in safe mode and I dont have this green screen when I do that so In guessing its a software issue rather than a hardware issue.

Any ideas where I go from here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:49 AM

Try reinstalling your video drivers. If you don't know about doing that, please give us the make and model of your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 paulcupboard

paulcupboard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:02 AM

I really appreciate you help. Its a dell inspiron 1520. Thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:50 AM

It appears that that system came with either an Intel or an nVidia graphics card.
Please go to Start and type on "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
When Device Manager opens up, click on the + sign next to Display Adapters and let us know what it says there.

FWIW - Here's the link to the Dell download page for your model: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=
Click on the + sign next to Video to reveal all of the video stuff

This is a link to the Intel driver: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=244176
This is a link to the nVidia driver: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=261031
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 paulcupboard

paulcupboard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:01 AM

The display adapter shows when extended

Mobile Intel® 965 express chipset family
Mobile Intel® 965 express chipset family

(i.e.) its listed twice.

I have checked that the Driver is upto date. I am running Driver version 7.14.10.1322

If it was a problem with the graphic card would safe mode run with out the green problem as it is doing? Safe Mode seems to be working fine?

Where do we go from here?

Thanks again for your help.

#6 paulcupboard

paulcupboard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:03 AM

Just noticed from your link that a new driver version is available but windows was not picking it up. Trying to install it manually now.

#7 paulcupboard

paulcupboard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:23 AM

Ok,

Updating the driver didnt work so I just though I would try a system restore. I took it back just before the last avg update a few days ago and hey presto, we are back in business. Still none the wiser as to what was going on.

I have upladed a photo of the problem if anyone is interested they can have a look. I would still be interested to hear what people think was happening.

Thanks for the support.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69474732@N00/2816416625/

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:16 AM

Generally this is a video driver issues (since it presented in normal mode, but not in Safe Mode). Although you may have the most updated driver, one of the settings in the drive could have become corrupted - so installing a copy of the most updated drive is the most common remedy (even if you have the most updated driver installed already)

The Dell drivers aren't necessarily the most updated driver (those at the Intel website are the most updated). My next suggestion would have been to try those drivers. They're the most updated for that card, and they don't contain anything that Dell may have added to the driver.

The system restore most likely reverted you to a previous version of the driver that doesn't suffer from the problem that the current Dell driver has.

Anyhow, it's fixed - and that's what counts! :huh:

#9 JoK

JoK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:26 AM

Hi paulcupboard.

Have you "Aero" enabled on your laptop ? If yes, try to disable this interface.
If your problem persists, please, try following. Go to your device manager, and uninstall only the video adapter. Then restart the laptop. Windows will ask you for a video driver. Windows propose (i hope so) a WDM Driver for your video card. If not, run windows update, and take a look on features in the list. It is possible that your driver is present here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users