Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Janine805

Janine805

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

alright so heres my problem i have a website and we get free email accounts, so i have out look express and mozilla thunderbird, and i set my email up , but im not able to really send or recieve messages. when i send messages i keep getting this error saying: sending message failed becuz connecting to SMTP server mail.hardkore-nrg.com ( <<< my website) failed, server maybe unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections, now i have a frend he is the co owner of the site and he has his email account set up through thunderbird and has no problems and hes has informed that i do have the SMTP setting right and the POP they are both mail.hardkore-nrg.com so why is it not working for me but it works for him , bigger question is how do i fix it?? please help me if u can

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Janine805

Janine805
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:47 PM

sorry i didnt see the other sections the mods can move this topic

Mod Edit:
I've moved your post to the appropriate forum. Here it will get the attention it deserves.

Edited by tg1911, 22 April 2005 - 10:35 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:29 PM

Could it be a firewall problem, since you have verified that your Email POP account was set up properly?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:04 AM

I found with my email server they specified particular ports for each , POP and SMTP, and theyare each different, and each is not the default that would have been applied had I not changed them. So even though both are whatever.com, maybe double check the required ports (if not default) ?

Seems your partner has done that, so
John's question is a good one. Firewall?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 Janine805

Janine805
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:37 AM

thank you john i tihnk it could be a fire wall too how do i check that and fix it ?

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:27 AM

how do i check that and fix it ?

The answer to that depends on what firewall you have installed, and what operating system you are running.

Windows XP has its own (not highly regarded) firewall, or you could have ZoneAlarm, Sygate, Kerio to name a few. It could also be part of your Anti-virus program - which one are you running?

Find out what firewall you have and let us know, then someone can help you locate the settings which may be causing your problem.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Janine805

Janine805
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:39 AM

it looks as though i just have basic firewall that comes with windows xp it said windowes firewall , and i have norton anti virus

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:07 PM

I don't know if the windows firewall has any configuration details 'cause I turned mine off five minutes after I got the PC.
Check your Noton AV to see if it includes a firewall now, (Norton Internet Security definitely does) If so turn off your Windows firewall and forget about it.

If Norton AV does not have a firewall I'd turn off the windows firewall briefly so you can send yourself a test email, then turn it on again. If the email is sent and recieved properly then we can look into modifying or replacing the Windows firewall.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users