Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried To Install Offiice Pro 2007, Monitor Not Working, Can't Start Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrinfected

mrinfected

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:53 AM

The Problem

I tried to install Office Professional 2007 and my computer is no longer starting up, the monitor is not even working 95% of the times I start it up. When the monitor does start up the computer freezes, I have not been able to get to my desktop.

Can someone please help me understand what the Office Pro 2007 error has done to my computer? I can't even start my computer up and I don't know what to do. Can Office Pro have done something to my monitor?

How the problem developed:

1. I started up the computer
2. Inserted software of 2007 Office Professional. Started to install 2007 office from the DVD. Shortly after agreeing to replace Office 2003 programs such as Outlook 2003, Word 2003 etc, etc. Error message popped up with said that we cannot continue with the install.
3. I shutdown the computer
4. Turned the computer on today, it showed the Windows XP logo, then it showed nothing, screen went black.

What I have tried:

*When I try to restart the computer the monitor usually says "self test check your PC, and signal cable, monitor is not working"
*I have tried unplugging and plugging the monitor back in. The monitor works sometimes, the strange thing is that the monitor will work, but when I restart it without touching any of the chords, it will still say "check your PC, and signal cable".
*I tried to start the computer normally, I hit escape when Chk Dsk asked whether or not I wanted to scan the harddrive, it showed the XP logo then the screen went black
*I started it normally, I let ChkDsk run, it came on and it said that *"File record segment is unreadable" and it begins to scan my system for 15 minutes before it eventually froze
*I tried to start the computer from safe mode, it showed the XP logo then the screen went black

My system specs:

XP is my operating system
Emachines W3107 Desktop
AMD Sempron 3100 processor 1.8 GHZ
100 GB ATA hard drive
512 MB Ram

Edited by mrinfected, 31 August 2008 - 04:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:15 AM

If you have the Windows installation disk try doing a repair installation.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

FWIW: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...1.mspx?mfr=true

If it's not a hardware situation, a repair install may take care of it...if it's malware, it may not. If it's the file system (NTFS), you may wind up doing a clean install. At this point, I think it might be hardware (hard drive).

Your MBR may be part of the casualties, the fixboot or fixmbr command may take care of that.

I would definitely run a manufacturer's diagnostic on any hard drive where chkdsk /r cannot do its job properly.

Louis

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

When you get it sorted out

2. Inserted software of 2007 Office Professional. Started to install 2007 office from the DVD. Shortly after agreeing to replace Office 2003 programs such as Outlook 2003, Word 2003 etc, etc. Error message popped up with said that we cannot continue with the install.

You should uninstall 2003 before installing 2007
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users