Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Ie, Can't Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:55 AM

This is an interesting one. I have never liked IE so only use it when I have to. Read the blurb on IE8 Beta 2 the other night, liked the look of some of the features, so made a Restore point and tried it. Complete disaster as it just didn't work at all.

Never mind. Did the restore and thought that was the end of it, but now I have no IE at all. It starts to load then just disappears off the screen so now I am stuck with not being able to update at all.

Any clues? Am wondering if I can do anything from Recovery. Tried chkdsk /r with no result. I have an unopened copy of my OS, XP MCE 2005, which may reinstall IE6 with SCANNOW /R ?

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:23 AM

Do you have SP3? I read that if so, you might not be able to go back to IE7.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:32 AM

Thanks Frank.

That could be it. Will try a call to MS in the morning, that should be worth a laugh. (Now, mustn't be nasty - but must admit I am not a MS Fan, LOL.)

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:28 AM

OK. Have just got everything back to normal after about 6 hours solid mucking around.

Spent about 1 hours on the phone with a nice young fellow from Malaysia but we didn't get too far. He did say he would ring me back tomorrow to see how things were going which I appreciated.

You read right Frank, so thanks very much for that vital info. It is necessary to uninstall SP3 before you can do anything about IE, and MS Help were not aware of that even though I asked about it and he checked with his supervisor. Anyway, uninstalled SP3 and the corrupted IE7, and now after much updating and continual reboots all is good again.

Cheers

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:55 AM

I didn't read about the problem on Microsoft. It was probably on Techcrunch or one of my other feeds. I subscribe to several.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users