Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Laptop Freezes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kooshykins

kooshykins

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:47 PM

My kids are using my laptop on games on line. Now i noticed its running slow and always hangs/freezes. Please help.. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:51 AM

What are you doing when it freezes hangs? Do you have an AV running? Do the games the kids play have high quality graphics etc? Does the laptop feel hot when it crashes?

I used to play some games on an older laptop and would get the same problems. It was due to the intense heat generated from the video card while playing games with high quality graphics. I think it go so hot it damaged some components inside the computer.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

In many cases, online gaming sites are infested with a smörgåsbord of malware and an increasing source of system infection. They can lead to other sites containing more malware which you can inadvertently download without knowledge or consent. Users visiting such sites may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. Gaming sites can put you at risk to fraud, phishing and theft of personal data. Even if the gaming site is a clean site, there is always the potential of some type of malware making its way there and then onto your system. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be successfully cleaned or repaired. In those cases, recovery is not possible and the only option is to reformat/reinstall the OS.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you have another security program like Spybot S&D, it may alert you that changes have been made. If you get such an alert, permit the program to allow the changes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 kooshykins

kooshykins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:57 PM

What are you doing when it freezes hangs? Do you have an AV running? Do the games the kids play have high quality graphics etc? Does the laptop feel hot when it crashes?

I used to play some games on an older laptop and would get the same problems. It was due to the intense heat generated from the video card while playing games with high quality graphics. I think it go so hot it damaged some components inside the computer.

I am just using it by checking my email using firefox/IE then it will hang/freeze. I have a Norton AV. My laptop is not hot when it will crash/freeze.

#5 kooshykins

kooshykins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:05 PM

This is the result of my scan Mr. quietman7;

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.25
Database version: 1101
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

2:58:20 PM 8/31/2008
mbam-log-08-31-2008 (14-58-20).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 51789
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 18 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:46 PM

Good. That's a clean log.

The symptoms you describe could be due to hardware or overheating problems caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, etc. Since you are not overheating then you could be dealing with bad RAM, faulty drivers or some other hardware related issue.

However, some rootkits can also trigger BSODs, shutdowns and various stop error/shutdown messages so it would also be wise to perform a scan for this type of problem. MBAM will check for some rootkit infections but its a check with a dedicated ARK scanner should also be performed. Download and scan with Sophos Anti-rootkit, Panda AntiRootkit or AVG Anti-Rootkit.

Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
  • Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
  • After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
  • When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.
Note: Not all hidden components detected by ARKs are malicious. It is normal for a Firewall, some Anti-virus and Anti-malware software (ProcessGuard, Prevx1, AVG AS), sandboxes, virtual machines and Host based Intrusion Prevention Systems (HIPS) to hook into the OS kernal/SSDT in order to protect your system. You should not be alarmed if you see any hidden entries created by these software programs after performing a scan.

If you're not finding anything then its sounds like the latter problem.

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error or crash occurs. You may not see the error code because the computer reboots too fast. You should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. However an easier alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message when it happens - this is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, go to Start > Run and type: sysdm.cpl
Click Ok or just press WINKEY + Pause/Break keys to bring up System Properties.
  • Go to the Advanced tab and under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
  • Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked.
  • Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.
Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with an error code and other information that will allow you to better trace your problem. Write down the full error code and any files/drivers listed, then provide that information in your next reply so we can assist you with investigating the cause.

#7 kooshykins

kooshykins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry for the delayed post. My Firefox and IE freezes in a few minutes every time i will use my laptop.After scanning using the antroot kit, it found nothing.

I also followed your instruction for the recovery setting and i noticed that my setting had been like that already but still i reboot it, no blue diagnostic screen w/ error displayed.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

Then try looking in the Event Log.

#9 kooshykins

kooshykins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

In the event log i found several failure audits; and this is one of those.

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Policy Change
Event ID: 615
Date: 9/1/2008
Time: 9:10:18 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: IRIS
Description:
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#10 kooshykins

kooshykins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:24 AM

please HELP Is really badly needed now. i cannot work properly with my laptop, it still hangs everytime im using it,specially when im using firefox and ie.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

As I said previously, the symptoms you describe could be due to hardware or overheating problems caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, etc. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to shutdown/restart on a more regular basis.

Did you perform one of the ARK scans I recommended? If not, please do so.

If you are not finding any malware then its sounds like one of the latter problems.

Some video cards can generate such intense heat while playing games with high quality graphics that they require a separate cooling system. If the fan fails, the video processor will not be far behind and your system may start crashing. If that is the case see "Illustrated How to Replace an AGP Video Card" and "10 things to know before buying a video card".

Look for problem entries (colored coded symbols) in Device Manager as described here. Check for any updates that may be available for your drivers. Driver issues are a known source of conflicts that can cause stop errors and BSODs. If you need to update a driver, a convenient place to start is at DriverGuide.com or MrDriver.com. If you're not sure how to update a driver, please read How to update a Windows hardware driver and How to manage devices in Windows XP.

Other Troubleshooting Tools:

Download and run Motherboard Monitor 5. If Motherboard Monitor's seems to be reporting high temperatures for your CPU check to see what your max CPU temp is from here.

You can also use NextSensor to check temperature and voltage or SpeedFan to monitor voltages, fan speed, SMART status, and temperatures. SpeedFan can help you investigate the reasons for an unpredictable reboot or for a failing hard disk as well as whether you are likely to experience temperature related issues.

There are suggestions for troubleshooting power supply, video card, CPU, RAM, MB and hard drive here and here.

You can use BurnInTest to stress test the CPU, hard drives, RAM, CD-ROMs, CD burners, DVDs, sound cards, graphics, network connection, printers, video playback. This utility works on all Windows versions to include Vista (32-bit & 64-bit).

Another option is to use Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis. The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the RAM for errors with a comprehensive set of diagnostic memory tests or you can test your RAM with either of the following tools:

Memtest86+ and follow the instructions to Diagnose with Memtest86+.
Once a bootable disk is made, just leave it in the drive and reboot your computer. However, before rebooting, you need to enter the BIOS setup and make sure that the Boot Order is set so that your first boot device is either the floppy drive or the CD-ROM drive, depending on which type of disk you made. If necessary, change the boot order, save your changes, and exit Setup. When the machine restarts it should boot from your Memtest disk, and the program will start automatically.

Memtest86.
Download ISO images for creating a bootable Memtest86 CD-ROM or an installable from Windows/DOS to create a bootable floppy disk or usb flash drive. Read the directions under Technical Info and allow Memtest86 to run through the entire battery of tests for at least 4 full passes (or let it run overnight). Any errors indicate that there is likely a problem with your physical memory (RAM).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users