Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can A Windows Virus Eat At Linux?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

Ok, so i'm pretty sure i've got a trojan or 2 on my windowsXP partition. Really i've got 2 questions ok 3. Using Xp/Ubuntu 8.04 if that matters

1. and unrelated i know, but WINE uses the registry, is that the same registry as windows uses? My understanding that Linux doesn't use a registry? If its screwed up in linux/wine will it also kill windows?

2. Can a virus jump i might be infected with jump from windows into linux? Almost definitely a half-yes, but gotta ask.

3. If i do in fact have a windows trojan, can the author still control it while i'm in Ubuntu?

Ok, so i snuck a few extra questions in. but since i was doing this anyway might as well let it all hang out. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:09 PM

1. No - you _could_ get a virus here, but it would be contained to WINE. You would just have to uninstall and reinstall WINE.
2. No - different OS require different things from applications in order for htem to work. Virii in essence are applications.
3. No - if Windows is not operational (which it is not, if you are using Linux (unless you are using it via VMWare etc)), the virus will not be active. These are not actually being controlled by an entity. If it's the type that harvests info etc, it would push it out somewhere.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:23 AM

Thank you I appreciate the answers, and the peace of mind :thumbsup:
I really hate being redundant, and i guess i should just pop up a new thread. But i've been reading around and it seems that some games need WINE registry tweaks to work correctly. Before I wind up having to do that, since the only game i'm playing right now is KOTOR2 and its working near perfectly anyway. I just want to be clear that adding things does not affect the windows version of the registry?

#4 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:30 AM

Nope, it won't. If you were to run Linux by itself (without another partition with Windows) you would still use WINE and tweak the registry there. Rest easy, you are safe :thumbsup:.

Good luck!!
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

thanks again man, preciate all your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic