Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd Diagnostic Found Errors, Xp Won't Startup

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:50 PM

Hello all. I'd first like to say that I've been searching similar issues and tried many fixes before I registered to ask for help.

The PC:
- HP Pavilion a810n
- Windows XP Home Edition
- Samsung SP1604N HDD

The Problem:
- My system seemed fine. I did have alot of programs AutoStarting that I didn't use regularly, and I knew the system could possibly run quicker, but it wasn't an immediate concern. In short a friend came over last Sunday and suggested disabling items via msconfig - Startup, which I knew of but didn't want to touch for fear of disabling something I shouldn't. However we did, hit apply and restarted. My system would not reboot. Also, F8 would not bring up the Safe Mode Option.
- I tried repeatedly to boot and hit F8. No success.
- Finally I searched on the family PC and saw a recommendation to repair XP with the XP CD. I went through the process hitting [enter] and selecting the Windows currently installed for repair and went through the process all the way through with entering the key and all.
- Windows actually came back up, however it was SP1 and I started the process of downloading SP2. After the reboot, once again it wouldn't bring up "normal" Windows, but I could hit F8 and go into SafeMode. Can't remember much after that other than attempting the repair again, and got stuck in the, "XP setup cannot run under SafeMode..." loop.
- The last error I get now when trying to enter SafeMode is a stream of:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows\System32\Drivers...
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows\System32\drivers...

Failed Fixes:
-- via Recovery Console:
- fixboot
- bootcfg
- chkdsk c: /r

-- bootcfg /list > bootscfg /rebuild > Add install to list > Load Identifer > OS Load Options > exit
-- How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from ...
www.support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
-- How to Perform Repair Install
www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

New Tools:
- After reading Michael's Repair walkthrough. I realized I was repairing with am SP1 version XP cd. So I used his link reference and slipstreamed my XP cd with SP2. (tested and working)
- created an UBCD from the Ultimate Boot CD site. (tested and working) Note: This CD runs with no obvious issues and I have been able to look through My Documents and My Computer and see that everything is still there. Is there a way to grab them and back them up before further repair attempts?
- created Hiren's BootCD 9.5 (tested and working)

Diagnostics:- I ran the Samsung Hutil 2.10 and everything Passed except 2 items which errors were found. It recommended I erase my HDD after testing. I stopped here and put the UBDC back in, and finally came to type my story.

First thank you for reading through my issue, and thank you ahead of time for any assistance you all can lend me.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:40 AM

I'd suggest backing up your data immediately. The Ultimate Boot CD should have tools to either burn a CD/DVD for backup or USB support so you can backup to an external drive.

Once that's done, I'd suggest using a tool such as HDD Regenerator (~$60 US) or SpinRite (~$90 US)

A less expensive alternative would be to use the low level format option with the Samsung utility (more info here: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd...port_HUTIL.html )

Sometimes when a drive starts spitting errors out you can fix it with a tool like the above - other times the errors will keep recurring and you'll have to replace the drive. Until you figure out which case is yours, you stand the risk of losing data each time that you use that drive - so it's your call if you want to keep trying or go with a new drive. Should you decide to stay with the old drive, I'd suggest running the Samsung Hard Drive test periodically so you can catch any further errors in the early stages.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:31 AM

Just curious...wonder why your Windows partition is #2, rather than #1.

Do you have a Recovery/restore partition on that drive?

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

As it's an HP, it's most likely that the first partition is boot partition that points to either the OS partition or the recovery partition depending on the options selected at boot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

Thanks, John :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

Thank you for the quick assistance Louis and John.

Louis I was wondering the same thing about the partition saying (2) instead of (1). It seemed like most others read (1).

John do you know which program on UBCD backs up to USB external harddrive. Because I do have a MyBook with 300GB or something close. Also, will I be able to reinstall with a slipstreamed XP Sp2 cd, the original was an upgrade disk.

I also did make HP Recovery Disk back when I first got my PC, when it recommended it during my initial setup.

Thank you two.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

The tool that you used to look through My Computer and My Documents should be able to copy the data to your external drive. It depends on which tool you used (and which Ultimate Boot CD you used). I use Windows RE to copy my stuff (with a 3rd party file manager) - so I'm not real familiar with the UBCD tools. Most likely you'll have to have the external drive plugged in when you boot the computer from the CD.

To check on the partitions, you can use Disk Manager. I've seen a few HP's that have this small boot partition which refers you to either the Operating System or to the Restore partition. When looking at Disk Manager you'll likely see an unfamiliar partition first, the Operating System partition second, and another partition named something like Recovery/Restore/Backup/etc.

To get to Disk Management, go to Start...Run...and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter

A lot of the slipstreaming will depend on the options chosen - and most likely it will ask for the qualifying media (the OS that you upgraded from). I'd give it a try, and point the installation at your Recovery partition if it wants proof of a prior installation. Worst case, you'll have to restore using the restore partition and then upgrade to XP.

#8 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

John, it seems like the most economic approach would be to purchase a new HDD. I am at Circuit City. Does the replacement type matter? Im looking at:

WD Caviar type harddrives and they have 2 types: SATA and EIDE

Which do you suggest? I have never installed one before, but I have installed my own sound and graphics cards before, and I also upgraded my memory, so I'm confident with guidance that I can do it. However and partitioning and setup to ready the disk for reinstalling Windows I would need guidance.

This may be a silly question, but will my PC recognize itself as an HP product when we're done, or just as my rebuild with whatever I load in after Im done?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:50 PM

The Samsung SP1604N is an IDE hard drive - so you'll need an IDE drive to replace it.

Installing the drive is very simple:
- Ensure the jumpers are set to the same settings you used on the old drive
- Plug in the same connector to the new drive (the wide, flat cable)
- Plug the power connector in.

It's the installation of XP that may cause issues (since it's an upgrade CD). Ensure that you've got the Recovery CD and that it works before getting rid of the old drive. The issue you'll see most often is that it'll want to see a qualifying product CD before it'll install. Do you have a copy of Windows 98 or ME that you can use?

#10 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:52 PM

Hi John, I really do appreciate how quickly you're assisting me.

In the stores the only options I've been finding are SATA and EIDE. I bought the Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB.

I did a search from my phone on Google before I got it to see what the Samsung was since its older and I got the PC in 05' and it said ATA/??? and that comparable disks are IDE, EIDE etc to the ATA type. Did I misinterpret this?

Im sure since I wasn't sure that I miffed up. So I probably need to order a new one from online and return this one? I'll reply about the Windows discs when I get home. Just want E make sure Im headed back with the correct type harddrive if possible offline on a Sunday lol.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:40 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136217

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16822136003

Hopefully, you have the EIDE drive, not the SATA version.

Louis

#12 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:54 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136217

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16822136003

Hopefully, you have the EIDE drive, not the SATA version.

Louis

Hello Louis,

Just as I opened my browser you read your reply my cell died from all the research I did from store to store. I saw I forgot to mention in the post of what I actually purchased that I got the EIDE type:

WD Caviar SE EIDE 320GB
7200 RPM, 8 MB Cache, (WD3200JBRTL)
Here: http://store.westerndigital.com/product.asp?sku=2603671

John,

Now that I think back, the XP Upgrade CD I have is from the PC I upgraded prior to the one we're repairing. That PC crashed and the current replaced it. I don't recall an XP cd coming with it, but XP Home Edition is installed... in either case, that original Windows 98 disc is possibly somewhere in storage, but no place that I can pinpoint.

#13 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:49 AM

Update:

- Used UBCD v4, DriveImage XML to backup info from PC
- HDD Partition info cleared up from Drive Image:

Samsung SP1604N 160gb:

C: HP_Pavilion
NTFS
size cap: 142gb
% used: 61%
Physical Drive: disk0#2
(Partition 2)
Screenshot: http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp191/k...ep/IMG_1330.jpg

I: HP_Recovery
FAT32
size cap: 6.97gb
% used: 72%
Physical Drive: disk0#1
(Partition 1)
Screenshot: http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp191/k...ep/IMG_1331.jpg

-- Backed up to: WD MyBook 300gb:
D: My Book
NTFS
size cap: 298gb
% used: 27%
Physical Drive: disk5#1

-- Last Error prior to running HUTIL 2.10; when attempting a safe mode boot
Screenshot: http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp191/k...ep/IMG_1323.jpg

-- UBCD Desktop display with all Installed/Connected drives info incl Processor, etc:
Screenshot: http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp191/k...ep/IMG_1329.jpg

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

If possible, use the DriveImageXML software to put those partitions back on the new drive.
Then boot from the new drive - it may or may not be able to get into Windows. If it does, all is well and good. If it doesn't, then you'll need to resort to a repair of Windows.

To do this, you'll need a Windows XP OS disk that matches the installation that you have (XP Home, unknown Service Pack, OEM edition). Once you have that, boot to the XP disk...
At the first screen, choose ENTER to install Windows (don't choose the repair option here)...
At the third screen it'll offer a chance to Repair the current Windows installation - choose that. If the option to repair isn't there, don't do anything until you read the warnings here (you can lose everything): http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#15 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

Can anyone refer me to the proper forum or area to get help in replacing the harddrive with the new one and getting my settings correct so that I can return for help with the system install?

Since I only have a slipstreamed XP Home Upgrade disc with SP2. Can anyone recommend the best way to install my OS. Or should I start a new topic regarding this? I'm not sure if I should purchase a new XP full install cd with most recent service pack or go ahead with Vista if its more stable, the inital talk of issues detoured me away from research since pretty much its release.

A new cd isn't in my budget right now, but I'd like to keep an eye out for the best choice considering my surprise "fresh start" situation.

EDITED TO ADD

Thank you John, seems like I posted when you posted exactly what I was looking for.

Using sys info from the UBCD v4, it says my OS is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. Or is this only because its running through the CD.

My last almost successful boot into safe mode was XP Home Service Pack 2... This save may be more trouble than its worth. I may have to settle for a clean install after the new HDD, HP came loaded with stuff I never used and the DriveImage backup is of the unhealthy full of errors version I currently have installed...

I read that my DriveImage backup initially should be a healthy install, with settings and programs loaded, virus, malware, etc free. So when something like this happens, i wont have to reinstall everything all over again.

Edited by KidDz Akemi, 01 September 2008 - 05:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users