- HP Pavilion a810n
- Windows XP Home Edition
- Samsung SP1604N HDD
- My system seemed fine. I did have alot of programs AutoStarting that I didn't use regularly, and I knew the system could possibly run quicker, but it wasn't an immediate concern. In short a friend came over last Sunday and suggested disabling items via msconfig - Startup, which I knew of but didn't want to touch for fear of disabling something I shouldn't. However we did, hit apply and restarted. My system would not reboot. Also, F8 would not bring up the Safe Mode Option.
- I tried repeatedly to boot and hit F8. No success.
- Finally I searched on the family PC and saw a recommendation to repair XP with the XP CD. I went through the process hitting [enter] and selecting the Windows currently installed for repair and went through the process all the way through with entering the key and all.
- Windows actually came back up, however it was SP1 and I started the process of downloading SP2. After the reboot, once again it wouldn't bring up "normal" Windows, but I could hit F8 and go into SafeMode. Can't remember much after that other than attempting the repair again, and got stuck in the, "XP setup cannot run under SafeMode..." loop.
- The last error I get now when trying to enter SafeMode is a stream of:
-- via Recovery Console:
- chkdsk c: /r
-- bootcfg /list > bootscfg /rebuild > Add install to list > Load Identifer > OS Load Options > exit
-- How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from ...
-- How to Perform Repair Install
- After reading Michael's Repair walkthrough. I realized I was repairing with am SP1 version XP cd. So I used his link reference and slipstreamed my XP cd with SP2. (tested and working)
- created an UBCD from the Ultimate Boot CD site. (tested and working) Note: This CD runs with no obvious issues and I have been able to look through My Documents and My Computer and see that everything is still there. Is there a way to grab them and back them up before further repair attempts?
- created Hiren's BootCD 9.5 (tested and working)
Diagnostics:- I ran the Samsung Hutil 2.10 and everything Passed except 2 items which errors were found. It recommended I erase my HDD after testing. I stopped here and put the UBDC back in, and finally came to type my story.
First thank you for reading through my issue, and thank you ahead of time for any assistance you all can lend me.