Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Really Messed Up!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FatalSpirit

FatalSpirit

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:17 PM

Hi! I posted it in other forums, but then a person told me to post here.

Look at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=16484&hl=

I have no malware, but my comp is really slow, and I was wondering if anyone can help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

If you're positive that you have no malware, empty your temp files, run a scandisc, then reboot and defragment your HD.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:55 PM

Here are some basic steps, including Enthusiast's advice, which you should go through:

Edit: I originally posted more actions but I see you've gone through most of them with OldTimer in the HJT forum.

Do some basic maintenance:
  • Clean your internet cache:
    Open Internet Explorer, click Tools then Internet Options. In the Temporary internet Files section click Delete Cookies
    and Delete Files.
  • Boot in safe mode and do a scandisk (with Thorough and Fix checked).
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now
  • When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.
  • Reboot and see if there's any improvement.
  • Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Assuming you run WindowsXP or ME this is Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.
See if that helps :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 23 April 2005 - 12:15 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Ghetto Intellectual

Ghetto Intellectual

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:12 AM

[SIZE=7] I had this problem a while back. but i managed to fix it. go to CCleaner and download. run all three Scan options, to get rid of junk files. reboot computer. Then go to your Temp Folder and delete junk. reboot computer. then do a full virus scan again. then fragment computer, then reboot. problems should be fixed!!!

#5 FatalSpirit

FatalSpirit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:44 AM

Problem Fixed. Thanks!

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:53 AM

Great news, but what fixed it? Please share with us so that others may benefit.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users