Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd Power

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have recently built a Vista Box and have just installed a new Akasa 400w PSU and a new 500gb Seagate SATA 32mb Buffer secondary hard disk. My new HDD is having the same problem as my old SATA HDD. When PC is on the Secondary hard drive will operate properly but intermittently I hear a "spinning down" of the secondary disk and then it will spin up with a big clunk! noise. I can only describe it as a loss of power from the HDD for a few seconds. During this "power loss" the PC hangs for a few seconds. I am a little lost as I have changed PSU and HDD and it is the same. Is it possible it is a BIOS/SATA controller setting I have overlooked or a motherboard fault? All disks are Simple with no RAID setup.

Any Help and Advice would be greatly appreciated as it is an annoyance for my new PC build.

Thanks
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

The issue is probably your PSU. What other components do you have? How many optical drives? What type of video card? I'd go to at least a 600 or 700 watt PSU for most PCs.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#3 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for reply. DVDRW , 256mb PCI-E, 5 in 1 Card Reader, PCI Creative Sound Card. My Akasa power supply was expensive but very quiet. If i were to go to 700w any PSU suggestions?
Stu G

#4 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:25 AM

Yes, by the looks of your specs, its most likely a power issue.

While I don't have a personal preference in brands, I usually buy all of my hardware from New Egg. From there I'll read the reviews - you can generally tell quality by the number of good ones. I did a quick search and found this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139006.

Good luck to ya!! ;)
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

It wouldn't hurt to run some diagnostics on the hard drive
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:14 AM

You sure that noise is not something like Cool'n'Quiet working?

Louis

#7 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

Sorry for late reply.

I am now sure it is a power issue, however the constant access has stopped. It was due to Vista features indexing, superfetch and other rather pointless ms services. My linux box and Mac get used for most work. I have not liked Vista, infact whenever i use Windows i notice myself booting XP Pro , to avoid all the vista networking problems with SAMBA etc.

Thanks
Stu G

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users